TN: Don Luigi Clos des Papes Sassicaia Grahams

Notes from a lunch blind tasting.

2006 Vertice Pinot Noir – pink bubble from the Douro. Decent nose and mousse (but the latter faded a bit with time) and some cherry fruit, with decent length.

2006 Di Maio Norante Don Luigi – 90% montepulciano and 10% aglianico. Dark wine with a dark plummy nose with some spice and good fruit on palate. Medium length.

2009 Passopisciaro – from the slopes of Mt. Etna, this wine was Burgundian in colour and showed a sweet toffee nose, and tons of acidity. Interesting.

1995 Clos des Papes CNduP – medium colour, funky bretty nose but in a good ay, with good dark fruit levels, mellow, complex and long. Still excellent.

1986 Sassicaia – still a dark wine, with clear edges rather than brick, cedar and greenish fruit in nose and a hint of black olive. Long smooth finish, the tannins having finally softened. Very good.

2007 Sesti Rosso di Montalcino – lighter colour, mellow nose of dark cherries, spice/pepper and good acidity. Drink very well right now.

1997 Grahams Port – I thought this might be too young, but it showed good development with a slightly warm, sweet nose of ripe fig and orange rind, and was very smooth and integrated in the mouth with significant tannin.

• 2006 Caves Transmontanas Douro Vértice Pinot Noir - Portugal, Douro (8/16/2017)
    Clear grey/pink. Nice mousse at first but then as someone pointed out it faded a bit. Cherry, and red stone fruits. Very dry nose and palate. It does improve a bit and becomes a bit creamy and yeasty. Very dry finish.

A nice wine that improved in the glass, even if the mousse faded. (89 pts.)

• 2009 Passopisciaro Sicilia Passopisciaro - Italy, Sicily, Sicilia (8/16/2017)
    Very light clear red. Quite funky at first, lean earthy cranberry and spice nose with a bit of almond and mineral. Earthy cranberry and cherry flavours and a very acidic finish.

A nice wine that definitely needs food. I have not found other vintages to be as alluring as the 2005 tried years ago. (90 pts.)

• 2005 Di Majo Norante Molise Don Luigi Riserva - Italy, Molise (8/16/2017)
    Darkish red. Leather, black cherry, coffee bean and black currant nose. Even a bit of herb or bell pepper. Delicious aged dark fruit and earth flavours and a long tasty finish. Great balance.

This wine showed as a beautiful aged Euro wine, had me thinking Pesquera or a Chinon. (92 pts.)

• 1998 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (8/16/2017)
    Light medium red with clear edges. Very poopie, funky blackberry fruit with hints of herb, smoked meat and blood. Delicious soft meat and berry flavours and a nice aged balanced finish.

Nothing like current vintages of this wine. I suspect 2003 was the cut off date for these if you prefer elegance over ripeness. (92 pts.)

• 1986 Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia Vino da Tavola - Italy, Tuscany, Vino da Tavola (8/16/2017)
    Dark red with clear edges. Cedar box, house dust, green pepper, olive and black cherry fruit. Very much alive. Delicious leathery dark fruit and a very nice finish. Softening a bit as one should expect.

A real treat. (94 pts.)

• 2007 Sesti (Castello di Argiano) Rosso di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino (8/16/2017)
    Clear light red with brown edges. Earthy cherry, black pepper, spice and flowers. Delicious cherry and spice flavours and a nice slightly soft finish.

Very delicious to drink right now. (91 pts.)

• 1997 Graham Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (8/16/2017)
    Medium red with brown edges. Spirity fig and brown sugar nose, quite savory as well with hints of roast beef in the background. Delicious rich red fruit and earth flavours. Sweet and tannic finish.

A pleasure to drink. (92 pts.)

Great lunch Bill. A flawless group of wines I would say. Except the corked 2000 Guiseppe Cortese Rabaja.