1959 Chateau Mouton Rothschild

From half bottle. Dark ruby and showing little signs of age. Explosive and complex bouquet of damp earth, dark fruits, cedar, tobacco, mint, spice, lead pencil, and leather. Utterly beguiling perfume that soars from the glass and doesn’t quit. Elegant and concentrated, with palate staining flavors of sweet dark fruit, spice and mint. The sweet impression lingers, as does a note of tobacco on a long finish.
A wine of great balance, and a lovely drinking experience. Well-stored bottles will continue to give pleasure for a long time. This was the last of five half bottles I found in a beer cooler in a mom and pop liquor store for $29.99 per. The same store had a case of 1988 Mugnier
Musigny stored in a back room that was warm. For $100, I bought a bottle, but unfortunately it was cooked and over the hill.

A similar experience and the only great wine I have ever drunk by myself. It was early on in my wine odyssey, maybe 1980 or so, found it in a shop,brought it home and opened it. I’d had my wine epiphany several years earlier but this totally reinforced it. Have had very few Bordeaux better than this one.
DoctorJay

My favorite vintage for Mouton starting 30 years ago. No lack of fruit, complexity, nor power, it still is a great riper vintage.
Considering the successes by Lafite, Haut Brion, La Mission Haut Brion and Latour, I see 1959 as one of the all time great vintages.

My birth year. Never got a chance to try any 1st growth Bordeaux. Stoped trying to find authentic bottles with good provenance as they are so rare and the price has escalated beyond my comfort. Pity, as your bottle sounds awesome.

Birth year here, too.

Maybe St. Peter will pour me a glass.

'59 mouton is one of the best wines I’ve ever drank… so youthful and rich. Need to sell a kidney and buy some more…