La Mission Haut Brion 1988

Fill was perfect, cork solid. Crimson with practically no bricking.

Nose reticent at first but an hour in the decanter worked wonders. Intense flavors of fruit leather and cedar. Brick dust after another hour. On the palate,complex and seamless. Massive finish. Still young but in a really good place now. Far and away the best 1988 Bordeaux I have tasted 97 points

Thanks for the great note. Sounds like the 1998 I had last weekend could use another 10 (+) years.

At this point, the only dry wines I want to drink at ~30+ years of age (apologies to M Audouze) are red Bordeaux and American Cabernets from the Santa Cruz Mountains, Napa and Washington.

Yes, I know that plenty of others can live that long, but when you’re not talking cold climate Cabernet, the risk multiplies exponentially.

Dan Kravitz

On a related note, the 1988 Laville Haut Brion is super. I’ve had it several times in the last few years, including about a month ago. Still very fresh, as one would expect from the vintage.

This is very good news since it is 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of the 89. Also I have had two disappointing 89s this year both were closed.

I’ve got (2) 1998’s that have been resting since release-keep wondering when I should open one of them…sounds like I should let them be?

I have had the 1998 twice in the last year; I think it may end up as 99/100 point wine. Very backward but so incredibly promising, and I am not sure even ten years is enough time. Brilliant and a wine for the ages but will probably peak in 20-30 years.

Is the 1988 Haut Brion doing similarly well? Pretty closed five or so years ago.

Thanks…hoping I live long enough [wow.gif]

You need to work on it; far better than the alternative champagne.gif

Last time I had it, was at a Haut Brion vertical a few years ago. I scored it 92, but it was in a tough flight with the 1989 and 1990. To be honest, although qualitatively it was far less interesting than the other two, if you look at my initial note on the La Mission, it took an hour to begin to show well, and it reached apogee after two. I know these wines did not have the same babying, so I am not sure whether to make any definitive statement about it, except say that the other two wines were better.

Am very happy to see this good TN as I had the '88 in 2010 and found it primary, drying and slightly green. Chalked it up to the difficult vintage and needing time, and it sounds like I guessed right – have just 1 more btl I paid $35 for a few years after release.

Dan (Kravitz), 30-year-old Sauternes also do great. Also 45-year-old Sauternes. Also 72-year-old Sauternes.

I would love to bring you one when I next come to Maine!