TN: 2015 Sandlands Carignane (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County)

2015 Sandlands Carignane - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (8/20/2017)
Juicy and tart red fruit with a warm herb accent, and a touch of soy and toast-this is right in a drinkability zone, but has plenty of depth to allow a few years to see where it might go. It’s more well mannered than other California Carignan I have had, perhaps with the exception of Sam Bilbro’s Idlewild Carignan which is no longer being made.

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesome David, thx for the note. I might have to open up a bottle of this soon, sitting on a few.

I opened one of these two weeks ago aside a 2010. Your note on the 2015 is spot on with what our bottle showed. The 2010 was darker with less red fruit, a touch fuller, lower in acid and in general a little more complete. I love acid and prefer red fruit these days but the 2010 just seemed to be in better balance and the better bottle on that day. The 2015 is a nice wine but I hope it improves with more time in the bottle.

Brian, have you had the 2011 version? Changed my life.

It’s more than a nice wine.

Thanks for the note, do you think it’s a hold or a drink?

Yes.

Not yet. I had pulled it to drink with the 2010 before changing to the 2015.

I popped my first one of these last night. Poured a very dark, dense purple in the glass. Some reductive funk quickly blew off to make way for its brighter fruit profile. Very tightly wound with a screaming tart acidity at the moment. This wine would benefit from at least 3 years of age in my opinion.

I ALMOST opened one last night; thanks for convincing me to hide them from myself for a while.

No need to pop it if you don’t have to.

2011 is SILLY good!

Wouldn’t kick the 2010 out of bed either. Had it a couple months ago and loved it, but the 11 is special.

On the flip side of all this, I opened a 2015 Sandlands Contra Costa Mataro last week at Eleven Wine Bar&Bistro in Bolinas,Ca. This wine was very delicious and certainly ready to drink now or near term. Just a wonderful interpretation of the this grape.

I appreciate your tasting note, David!!

I would not have imagined that the Sandlands reds (aside from the Trousseau) would offer early drinking pleasure, but your comments tempt me to try one soon!

BTW, thanks for dredging up the pain of loss of Idlewild’s “Testa Vineyard” Carignan! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Did I miss your tasting note on the Mataro, Brian? Is it on CellarTracker?

I am a huge fan of Mourvedre and all things Contra Costa.

What do you think would prevent a Sandlands red from being enjoyable at a young age? Most every California wine is enjoyable young, except perhaps Dunn.

I don’t get the fetish for aging California wines with no track record.

You can enjoy what you want, but to my tastes, these are better creatures with a year & half after delivery. YMMV.

When is the next release?

If form holds, next spring.

Has anyone opened any of the '14 Carignanes recently?