Burg Blitz with a Barolo Cleanser

Had a few splendid Burgs last night, with an obligatory Barolo palate cleanser to finish. An Aussie ring-in showed really well.

2011 Henri Boillot Corton-Charlemagne: Has an engaging scent of white flowers. There’s the perfect amount of struck match reduction and pure white peach fruit. It has great balance and drive and is rich but with the vineyard’s strict line. Drinking beautifully today, like so many ‘11’s are.

2015 Henri Boillot Corton-Charlemagne: At first, the sun-drenched fruits of the vintage are front and centre but it tightens considerably in the glass. It is quite flinty and has sappy, powerful fruit flavours. There’s some aniseed spice and length is impressive.

2006 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Charmes: Absolutely delicious and ready to go. Complex aromatics of honeysuckle, crème brulee, almond butter and white peach. It is full, round and layered in the mouth. There’s good depth and power coupled with the usual Roulot finesse.

2005 Louis Jadot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts: There was some meaty reduction at first but it blew off to reveal ripe red and black fruits, tinged with spice. In the mouth it had good depth and detail and a velvety feel against the gums. It built through the palate and fanned out on the finish leaving plenty of enticing earth and floral notes.

2005 Domaine Bruno Clair Chambertin-Clos de Bèze: Had such a beguiling perfume of rose petals, violets, black cherry and spiced plum. In the mouth it was deep and penetrating. There was real lusciousness to the fruits but it remained light on its feet. It had great breadth and complexity and a finish that went on and on. Brilliant wine.

2014 Bass Phillip Pinot Noir Premium: Plenty happening on the nose. There was some earth, root vegetables, black cherry and blood plum. Fruits were perfectly ripe in the mouth and it had great shape and texture. All flavours were underpinned by breezy acidity and it had excellent drive and persistence. Held its own in strong company.

2015 Bernard Dugat-Py Pommard La Levrière Vieilles Vignes: Incredibly deep purple of colour. There’s plenty of punchy spice to the nose with notes of rose petal, freshly grated ginger and sandalwood. The black cherry fruit is deep and penetrating and there’s a strand of licorice weaving through the flavour profile. It is velvety and full and has some Pommard muscle to the finish along with bright minerally acidity. Length is fabulous.
2000 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo: Drinking very well. Had a nose of cedar, burnt fig, raisin and tar. The palate was rich and voluminous, with a lovely interplay between the sweet and savoury elements. There’s real flesh and a gentle flex of sinewy muscle to the back-end. The finish is quite earthy.

Nice lineup. I had the 2011 Boillot CC a couple weeks ago and agree that it is a very nice wine, but can still go for several more years, premox willing…

Jerry,

The '06 Roulot Charmes was no where near as tight as the '06 Perrieres we had with you earlier in the year. Very good though.

Cheers
Jeremy

Jeremy,
what kind of prep did the 2005s get, most of the ones Ive tried have been to tight/dense… not really that drinkable yet.

ha. 2011 Boillot CC is the wine I twice forgot I bought. So I have 3 cases. Better start drinking. Nice notes, jh.

I drank 05 Boillot CC last night. Meh. No typicity.

Glad to know I’m not the only one to have done this (multiple times) albeit never to the tune of 3 cases !

Hi Marcus,

The Jadot was a pop ‘n’ pour, the Clair was opened a couple of hours earlier. Both thoroughly enjoyable.

Cheers
Jeremy

I had an 05 Boillot CC a couple months ago and thought it was good. Shows you what I know…

What, no Montrachet? You’re falling down on the job! [grin.gif]

Very nice notes, Jeremy and a great cross-section. Also pleased to see your 05s showed out. We had a Cacheux 05 Vosne Aux Reas a couple nights ago that I brought and with which I was quite happy.

Maluhia,

Mike