2009 Chateau Gloria Saint-Julien

2009 CHATEAU GLORIA SAINT-JULIEN- made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot; still very young, but nicely expressive in a mellow mood; it had milk chocolate, coffee, cigar box and cedar accented black currant, plum and blueberry fruit; the texture was soft and easy on the palate; all of the notes were on the mild side, but enough to please and offer elegance; a perfect choice when desiring a delightful Bordeaux that does not break the bank and gives some joy.

Cheers,
Blake

Please excuse typos and unintended auto-corrects
fullsizeoutput_16a3.jpeg

I tried this on release and was quite wowed. Seemed a more serious Gloria with some tannin clout. Sounds like it has softened a lot in the last 5 years, I may take one for a spin.

The good vintages age longer than one would think, staying fruit filled and pleasing.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Gloria ever since Frank Prial wrote about in in the NY Times in the 1970s as a Bordeaux to drink if you couldn’t afford the expensive stuff. I have not had it for a while, but your note fits with what I remember.

Pat, indeed it has softened and in a good place. I was somewhat surprised as the request to drink Bordeaux came from one of the table mates and I was to make the choice. BTW, this was the first bottle and the 11` Ch Palmer Alter Ego was the 2nd [see separate thread].

You nailed it as that ws the case here.

Jay, it was the 85 that got my attention and I still have a bottle or two just waiiting for the right occasion. Prials comment seems to still be right on.

Count me in the fans of this wine!! based on the ageability of the 1982, I decided to buy a few cases of similar vintage and burried 5 cases of Gloria 2009 in my cellar… no regrets so far :slight_smile:

2009 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (12-02-16)
Very nice nose of characoal, black fruit, cigar box, cedar… Nice red cherries, super silky tannins, perfect balance, not super concentrated but very well made! (92 pts.)

2009 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (16-09-14)
Nice nose of caramel, hint of vanilla, ripe black fruit, characoal… loads of ripe red fruit, integrated tannins, lacking a bit concentration compared to Mouton 1970 (91 pts.)

2009 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (29-07-14)
Beautiful and powerfull nose of black ripe cassis, lead pencil, characoal… the taste was loaded with super ripe and silky tannins, loads of ripe cassis, nice freshness of the vintage… this was an excellent young Bordeaux still a pleasure to drink and absolutely not closed at this time… I just loved it! (95 pts.)

2009 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (27-10-12)
Very nice nose of vanilla and mokka, ripe red cherries, encens, smoke, roasted meat… in the mouth, black fuit, loads of ripe tannins, average lenght, good balance (90 pts.)

2009 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (26-10-12)
Nose of smoke, vanilla, black ripe fruit, cigar box, mokka… in the mouth, concentrated black fruit, silky tannins, animal, leather (91 pts.)

2009 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (12-11-11)
Powerfull nose of mokka… in the mouth, red and black fruit, very silky… great on his own, but suffered from the comparaison with it’s pairs (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Yes, excellent value play, and the 09 is quite nice. I bought a bunch of the 2010 but cannot recall whether I popped any. Any recent tastes? Reminds me, I should grab some 2014.

Hi Robert, I was not impressed by the 2014 (and the 2014 vintage in general…)… I would rather pay a few euro’s more and buy 2009 2010… or wait a few month for the 2015 :slight_smile:

2014 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (25-03-17)
Black fruit, woody… very tannic, hint of black fruit, not good balance (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I like Gloria but 5 cases of a vintage is a lot!

We chewed through a case of splits of the 2000 in maybe its first decade and even by the end they were still fresh.

Yeah, I had the same thought Arv-- the most of any one wine I own is the 03 S-M, of which I’ve had 2.5 cases all told including half bottles; I’m down to like 21 left, still seems like plenty!

I just had another bottle this week!

Yum yum!

PS. Blake’s post caused me to grab some 09 Gloria today. I’m pretty sure I have a few in storage, but Total Wine had a 20% off sale.

Robert, should you open one, please add your impressions into this thread. Thanks

Robert, I’m pretty sure you can get the 14 Gloria for around $30 in your market, well below vs. $50 to $60 for the 09 & 10 vintages, and at that margin, I think the 14 is well worth the effort to grab some. Tannic yes, some youthful oak notes sure, but given time it should round into form, the estate has the track record for sure. Its a good buy.

Indeed, Wine Searcher Pro has the 14 at $32 and the 09 and 10` at $50.

The owners of Gloria also own Chateau St. Pierre. When Henri Martin founded Gloria, he cobbled together many great parcels of St. Julien vineyards, but obviously it could never be a classified growth, and so there is a ceiling to what they can charge.

About 5 years ago, they traded some of the better parcels with St. Pierre which is a classified growth, and so they can charge more and at the same time raise the quality. Smart move, but you may see a slight dip in Gloria.

Interesting indeed, thanks.

I have recently, say since 2000 forward, found St. Pierre too glossy for my palate. I have a few 2005s and have stopped buying it. Would happily trade them away.

The first 1982 that I ever consumed was a St. Pierre. A subtle, red-fruited, earthy beauty. Not the style anymore.

Yeah, the 2003-2010 St. Pierre (haven’t had any younger vintages) aren’t my thang either, but perhaps surprisingly given the co-ownership, I think Gloria was better in this period than previously.

I have had the 2014 Gloria twice since receiving my bottles several months back. Nice structure and concentration - opens up with some air. Still fairly raw but the components are there. This should develop nicely over time. [cheers.gif] PS- the 2016 at around $42 is a jump up in price. [stirthepothal.gif]