TN: 10 La Selvanella 'Riserva' [Chianti Classico]

10 La Selvanella ‘Riserva’ [Chianti Classico] This is the flagship, single vineyard estate Chianti from the large Melini producer (There’s no way to tell from looking at the US label that its from them). Critics do not get enthused about the base Melini bottlings, but this top level effort occasionally gets a kind word. I don’t think I’d ever tried it before. It’s a big vineyard - 100+ acres. The ‘riserva’ gets 30 months French oak cask aging, but to my tastes, doesn’t taste woody. A hefty 14.5% abv but balanced in tastes to me. I quite like the 2010 Tuscan wines I’ve tried, especially the more traditional ones. It’s a good food wine, pairing well with an iron skillet pizza on the first night. It has the acidity to go with that, and the depth of flavor to be interesting the whole meal. The next night some of the tannin became apparent. I had not noticed those drying notes earlier. It should keep well. Lots of cherry fruit, and a little saddle. This probably sits at the cusp of the B+ and A- levels for my ledger, maybe the lower point if pushed. Should be widely available, especially in the Northeast. A good value when the vintage year is ripe and rich. I’d buy it again.

I had posted before about other vintages of this very worthwhile Chianti. If I recall, the 1997 and 2001 were very nice.

Even the '03 was good. I think the last vintage I had was the '06, though. I’ll need to check out the '10. Thanks for the note.

I have enjoyed many bottles of this wine over the last decade or so. I have positive notes on the 06, 10 and 11. I know the 12 is very good too having had a few bottles but not made notes.

I also have had the Melini Chianti Chianti a few times and enjoyed it.