TNs--Mike on Mini-Tour--2017 Atlanta Debauchery, Day 1

Always the warmest welcome by the gang down here, we gathered at Park 75 for our first night’s meal. The food was very good (with the live scallop and peach opening dish being particularly stellar) and the service was nonpareil. There were even a few decent wines [grin.gif]

2004 Bollinger Grand Annee Rose

I’d had the “regular” cuvee, but not the rose before. Almost minty strawberry. Very slight saline in the sniffer too. his is awfully good. Tremendous vivacity, it just lights up your whole mouth. Small, precise berry and rosy profile. Delicious and special

1996 Pierre Matrot Puligny Montrachet Les Combettes

Savory, floral nose. Spiced minerals too, if that makes any sense. Wow dans la bouche–super, super suave and elegant, the (for me) rare case where the wine has aged into what it can be at this point in its life. Nectarine and lemon and everything in such balance. Holds in the glass through the whole night. A wonderful thing to experience, my #2 tonight

1996 Verget Chablis Bougros

Although this seemed fine when Randy and I nosed it at his place, it was unfortunately slightly corked by the time it got to the table.

2009 Drouhin-Naudin Chablis Montmains

More rounded, mineral and straightforward apple and lemon. Rounded on the taste too, a solid 2009 with that sort of fatness.

96 Domaine du Closel Clos de Papillon Cuvee Speciale

This really has still some freshness and a lime-infused honey. Lovely roundness to this and length too, and the thing I like the most is that you keep exploring this wine. Definite honeycomb and lanolin characteristics that you want from the older Chenin. A fascinating drink.

1995 Domaine L’Aigueliere Montpeyroux Cuvee Doree

Still plenty of liveliness on nose. Baking spices overlay a smoky cherry and plum. This levers into sweet plum and cherry and a lick of chestnut. Liked by a lot of people and quite flexible with the food dishes

2005 J. Cacheux Vosne Romanee Aux Reas

I brought this, and it’s been on a bit of a journey, as I bought it in Singapore 8 years ago. I was plenty happy with this, it takes a bit in the glass to release some tea and soy notes to go with touches of leather, mocha and dark cherry and plum. Replays with some length, less of the perfumey side, no doubt there’s a modernity to the style, but it’s focused and lithe and has excellent carry. Glad it showed reasonably well.

2003 Louis Lequin Corton Charlemagne

Apple pie and curvy—maybe a little oxed…yes, not so much Corton here, a little ripe, but still drinkable----just not representative, a shame.

1990 Eyrie Pinot Noir

Oh, now. Just what I want. So settled down and sophisticated now. Ohmmmm…revelicious. THIS is where Oregon pinot can get to. It’s so subtly evocative with light raspberry, cranberry and lightest earth. Just adore how ethereal this is now. I love this, really do. WOTN

2007 Raphet Charmes Chambertin

Good earth, light cumin, cocoa and berry aromatics. Has the luminosity I look for in Charmes, a fair purity of berry and light touch of cherry, but also the 07 ceiling. I will say that this showed extremely well with various dishes, particularly the breaded sweetbreads.

1990 J.J. Confuron NSG Les Chabocufs

Fine lifted bouquet with plenty of florals, small touch of soy and very solid base of purple fruit. Drinks very smooth and subtle, but a nice spicy punch at the back. A very complete wine, one I liked the more I sipped at it. #4?

2006 J.J. Confuron Romanee-St. Vivant

There is a true potpourri bouquet about this that is hypnotic. I do find the palate still unbridled and on the wild side, but all the promise of a great wine is there, and this had many admirers. Give time.

1994 Jamet Cote Rotie

Don puppydogged his way into Mike opening this :slight_smile: Sniffer gets a touch of bandaid, but that’s OK and complements the smoky plum. Lots of balanced acid and length, still young. Quite kinetic and has a lithe grace about it. Very good indeed, big thanks for the open.

1990 Chateau Montrose

A beautiful wine. Fully expressive and mature with green peppercorns, bit of tobacco, plum and blackberry. Lovely and very clean and full and characterful with replays and a touch of smoke, this was a joy to consume. #3

1990 Chateau Gruaud-Larose

It’s always difficult to tell if corked or not because of the Cordier funk. This one is fine, the funk is in full play but it settles down to a great expression of coffee grounds, plum and sweeter cassis. I do find the palate to be just a little bit angular, and a steak would have done this wine no harm.

1998 Kracher #7 Welschriesling/Chardonnay NV TBA

Nick brought this pair. These are soooo good. Honey and almost a whisper of absinthe to citrus and apricot fruit. To taste, still young and energetic but full of promise with replays. In 10 years, this would be superb. #5 tonight.

1999 Kracher #5 Scheurebe ZDS TBA

Baked maple syrup, apricot, yellow plum. Rich and juicy, it has more expressiveness than the 98 I had earlier in the week. Plenty to like here.

My huge thanks to the crew down here—there’s a reason this is on my annual trip list.

Slainte,

Mike

Mike, thanks for posting the notes, it was great to see you again. Just a couple of corrections. The Closel was the Clos du Papillon Cuvée Speciale, the 2009 Chablis was from Drouhin-Naudin, the L’Aiguliere was the Cote Dorée, and the Jamet was just the plain old Cote-Rotie. Le Vallin is just the name of the plateau where the winery itself is located.

Fun night. Good to see you Mike. Also great Nick could come. Thanks to everyone that brought wine. See you soon.

Many thanks for the corrections, Mike—no idea why I had Doudet on the brain. All other corrections made as well. It was a great night.

Mike