Absolutely compelling Brunello -Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino, the new releases

I’ve just posted on my recent tasting Absolutely compelling #Brunello – 2012 Le Ragnaie new releases – ItalianWine.blog, if you’re interested. Didn’t bother to mention cement tanks, Garbellotto casks, natural yeasts, etc., didn’t really occur to me - the wines, the man, are more interesting to me.

2012 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino (HR+) A shimmering brick red, the color is already standing apart from (most of) the crowd. Aromas of bright citrus, fresh pomegranate, white, pink and red floral, soil, dry brush, more. With some swirling, there’s some mushroom, dead leaves and freshly oiled leather – this has complexity to spare it seems. On the palate, a vibrant, almost pulsating, medium body that’s packing a lot of material on such a modest frame. With some swirling, a few tastes, this is quick to add body, depth, breadth, and even a touch more of complexity. This wine is exciting to smell. It’s even more exciting to smell and taste it. The finish kind of takes exciting to the next level; very fine, gently sweet tannins. It goes without saying I’m really curious to taste the V.V. and the Fornace, this is just wonderful. Best to wait a few years, even then, aeration in decanter is advised; drink 2020-2035. 14,5% abv. (resolved) highly recommended+

2012 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino Ragnaie V.V. (HR) Slightly darker than the base Brunello di Montalcino, this opens with more of an earthy-woodsy component, followed seconds later by citrus, dried red fruits, more soil, aged tobacco, more. The palate is of the same general mold, it’s medium-bodied, but there’s even more substance here, a hallmark of many great wines (dense, concentrated, yet light, gliding). The flavors are bold, yet crisp, very focused. Red-fruited, fine tannins, med+ acidity, exceptional balance. This needs even more time to rest than the Brunello tasted before it. The finish persists > 30 seconds; clearly structured and pure enough to age for a long time. 15,0% abv. (resolved), drink 2021-2036. highly recommended

2012 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino Fornace (VHR) Fascinating energy, purity, vibrancy; the nose is off-the-charts good. The palate is yet another step up from the prior wine, which itself was a step up – but wait, the first wine was already a step up (compared to most tasted today), so that leaves this in some some very thin, rarefied air – my notes simply say Masterpiece. I did not spit this wine, one of maybe two from the hundreds tasted that day. If you’re lucky enough to get some of this, grab a few, open one straightaway, it’s important not to miss any of this epic show. 14,0% abv. (resolved); drink 2020-2038. very highly recommended

I emailed my local shop regarding availability of a few of the Brunellos you posted a couple of days ago and none are available in SC. I think most of those were Skurnik’s. It is so unfair.

1 Like

Paul, any of these 2012 from Le Ragnaie wines will make you a happy camper. V.V. and Fornace will expand your universe, too.

I was not aware of distribution/availability issues (generally speaking) in SC, sorry. I know you’re resourceful, you’ll get what you want.

1 Like

They’re a producer I am comfortable buying year-in and year-out.

Riccardo is doing great things there. Quickly becoming one of the top producers in the area.