An evening with a bottle of Joel Gott Zinfandel 2002

I bought two bottles on release from the winery, opening the first tonight. I was in the garden, reading Peter Hellman’s excellent new book on Rudy, and sipping the first glass. Fine, spicy fruit, a tad simple. Very full bodied, massive in the middle , some bitterness at the same time, and a short finish. Some of the bitterness disappeared, the fruit also began to lose some of its freshness becoming plummy in the glass. Finish increased slightly but never to more than medium. No sense of the alcohol (14.3 on the label) and quite seamless in a chunky, rustic way. Slightly better with the steak, but overall not really a fan.

Nice post Mark! I’ve got 2 comments for ya:

1. Damn impressive that you have a garden to read books and drink wine in my man! With my 4 and 6 year olds around, I can barely maintain a normal household, let alone a freaking Garden! Good stuff buddy!

2. I’m almost even more impressed that you kept a Joel Gott zinfandel around for 15 years! Was that a mistake or a science experiment? Either way, thanks for the note!

Cheers!

Thanks for the note, Mark! Who’d a-thunk it!?

I think the source, or perhaps the dominant vineyards, tapped for the 2002 may have been a little to the East…

Rich
Empty nester, so time to sit and smell roses. I do miss the little league games and AYSO.

Unfortunately the Gott was purchased for Thanksgiving in the days when we decided Zins might be American. Then they were forgotten. I am not sure what I will do with the remaining bottle, but not my kind of wine, so will probably give it away.

I have to say age was not a factor, just way too rustic for me and the mid palate bitterness did not help.

Interesting, thanks

Aren’t these a bargain? I’ll bet it was back when it was released, would you say decent QPR? Costco has these from time to time here.

in the days when we decided Zins might be American.

Subsequently however, we realized that wasn’t the case at all! [wow.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Surprised to see Joel Gott mentioned here. He and Charlie Wagner are having a race to see how many countries they can make shitty wine in.