1992 Ridge ATP Carignane showing well; 1997 Storybook Zin okay

1992 Ridge Carignane Whitten Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (8/15/2017)
This was showing well. Fred called it sharp, meaning it was still youthful. It’s still got five to 10 years to go. It needed air to open up. But it was also smooth as silk and elegant. I got dark red fruit on the nose and the palate, plus maybe a little forest floor. Long fisish. A pleasure to drink.

1997 Storybook Mountain Vineyards Zinfandel Eastern Exposures - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/15/2017)
Good. Not exceptional. It may have benefited from more air. I got dark plum on the nose and palate. Maybe a hint of cinnamon. The finish was just okay. It was balanced and smooth with no flaws but nothing to make it stand out, either. This has a few years to go. It could be on the beginning of the down slope.

Thanks for the notes, Steve!

I have yet to try the Carignan wines from Ridge. Like just about everything that comes in a bottle from the winery, it seems like years and years are required to reveal the magic behind the winemaking.

I used to enjoy many a bottle of the Eastern Exposures and Mayacamas Range Storybook Zins.

20-odd years of cellaring the Carignan, and it still hasn’t faded away?!?

I enjoyed both. The Zin had that old Zin mint component.