TN: 2012 Glenelly Estate Cabernet Sauvignon "The Glass Collection" - $13!!!!

I’ve not tasted many South African wines, but if this is a representative wine, it may become my go to region for QPR.

This Cab checked all of the boxes for varietal character, depth and concentration, focus, balance, and mouthfeel. Be clear though, this is not a vanilla-laden cocoa fruit ooze monster – it’s elegant and pure with very little oak influence and a really intriguing herbal streak that hasn’t been ripened out of it. I know there are many of you Berserkers that will not find this appealing, but the AFWE-leaning folk will undoubtedly enjoy this. The best part is that this costs less than the CA sales tax on many of those blockbuster Napa cabs.

• 2012 Glenelly Estate Cabernet Sauvignon The Glass Collection - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (8/13/2017)
    I’m going to go ahead and bump up the score on this bottle. This is just a damn good Cab with ridiculous value. My wife opened this bottle on Saturday when I was out, and she reported that it had the same reductive stink as the first bottle we opened a few weeks back. I tried it the next evening and it was drinking beautifully. There’s something very attractive about the herbal streak in this wine that I just love. The fruit must be very high quality because it is pure and balanced with good depth and focus, and doesn’t rely on a ton of oak to present it. It’s pure and beautiful Cab. Absolutely loved this. (92 pts.)

Thanks!

I tend to like SA Cabernet and blends. At best, they have Bordeaux sensibility, with some new world fruit, yet I don’t think I’ve had any that were greatly overripe or milkshakey, and the prices are usually great. Rustenberg John X Merriman, which sells for around $25-30, is a consistent winner.

Thanks for the reco. WineX has the 2011 John X Merriman - have you tried that vintage?

I opened one the other night and it was much tighter than I expected. Lots of cedar and cigar box in the nose, but the palate was unyielding. A bit reserved and awkward. Second night it had really opened up. Riper fruit, but with a smoothness and complexity I usually associate with Bordeaux. Just needs a little more time to come together, or a long decant.

Both of the bottles I opened were also awkward when unscrewed, with some reductive stink (which blew off pretty quickly). I don’t know if I’d call it “reserved”, but was a little unfocused and muddled. After re-screwing the cap and leaving overnight - both drank beautifully.

I opened a bottle a few hours ago. I love this wine.

I think I would have guessed Chinon blind, other than maybe a smidgen more oak that most Chinon I drink, though the hint of oak reveals itself only as a dusting of cocoa powder and coffee.

As you note, a beautiful tobacco leaf and herb streak on the nose and palate, with some pebbly notes as well. The elegant berry fruit gradually emerges with air.

This estate was founded and is owned by the owner or winemaker of Pichon Lalande. Which helps explain the old school stylings.

The typical thing one says in this kind of post is “I wouldn’t give it 92 points but it’s pretty good.” To hell with that, I’m co-signing the 92 points.

And definitely try the John X Merriman, especially at that price.

Sounds interesting! Would you consider cellaring it, and for how long? Just found it ~ $11,- in a German web shop but I want to make sure it’s got a bit of life ahead of it before I pull the trigger on a case.

I thought about that last night. I don’t know if it’s got the fruit to age a long time, but I would think it’s in a good spot for at least a few years. It’s under screwcap, too.

The thing I wonder in the longer term is if the ratio of herbal notes to fruit might get higher than I like? Or maybe the fruit will come forward more, as happens with good Bordeaux?

Yeah, I guess the screw cap should keep things fresh for a while. I think I’ll grab a six-pack and see how they develop. Thanks for the tip, I’ll try to remember to check back in this thread when I taste it!

Glad to see you found the wine as enjoyable as I did! Thanks for adding your notes.

I definitely will. Do you have any idea about South African vintage characteristics? Based on the Glenelly experience thus far, I’d say that 2012 has to be a good vintage.

Frankly, no. They have vintage difference, of course, but I don’t follow it.

Just trying that 2011 Rustenberg John X Merriman tonight. I think you’re going to like it - it’s like the Glenelly’s big brother - same character and style, but a little more fruit and depth.

The only (potential, not really for me) downside is that its edges are a little less sharp than the Glenelly, and maybe the rounded off corners are less in the WB fashion. But it’s still decidedly old school and old world in its sensibilities.

That low price US purchasers see may have more to do with the decline of the rand, than anything to do with the quality. Thanks for posting on this.

The 2010 Grand Vin Red is on the shelves at the KGBO for $20 (Can). Born in South Africa, educated in Bordeaux. Not exactly typical Bdx blend: 36% Syrah, 34% Cab Sauv, 20% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot. Either the Syrah or the South African DNA gives a slightly swarthy air to anotherwise polished Bdx style wine. Drinking well now, Could be kept quite a few years more, but nice to see something on KGBO shelves with a little bottle age. Excellent QPR.

So, I picked up a bottle of the John X Merriman and gave it a whirl. I liked it well enough, but greatly prefer the Glenelly. Here’s my note:

• 2011 Rustenberg John X Merriman - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (9/10/2017)
    Lots going on with this red. Overall, reminiscent of left bank Bordeaux but with very slight new world leanings. Was tight and somewhat thin on the pop 'n pour, so gave it a half-hour or so of air in the glass, which seem to open it up and allow it to pick up some weight. More on the elegant, medium-weight side, with lots of cigar-like tobacco and smoky notes with some woody tones as well. There is a sweet component as well, someone below suggested “sweet cedar” which I think is a good descriptor - I didn’t really care much for it and thought it to be too prominent. A little herbal Cab note as well, which I enjoyed. A fair bit of dusty tannin. Nice silky mouthfeel.
    I picked this up recently for $25 after really digging the 2012 Glenelly Glass Collection Cab ($13) - my first taste of a South African Cab. I really found this Rustenberg to be more complex for sure, but is “complex” necessarily better? Not in this case. I found the Glenelly to be much more enjoyable with less wood influence and more purity of fruit. At half the price of this Rustenberg, a real no-brainer. (89 pts.)

Thanks for the suggestion - I’ll keep an eye out for this bottling.

Good note on the Rustenberg. Very good wine for the price, but I suspected from your earlier comments that you might like it less from a subjective style preference standpoint.

I’ve had a second and third bottle of the Glenelly and like them as much as the first. I should get more of it.

I did like the Rustenberg well enough and it’s not a bad value at $25. I’ll be on the lookout for other vintages just to get some experience with it. I did load up with 10 more bottles of the Glenelly. I would have bought more, but I just don’t have the space. Just checked the WineEx website - it looks like they’re down to a single case.