TN: 1995 Au Bon Climat Isabelle Pinot Noir

1995 AU BON CLIMAT CUVEE ISABELLE PINOT NOIR- the second bottling of this fabulous wine and actually the birth year for Isabelle; capped with a hard porcelain like blue wax and corked with a LONG European type cork which came out with little saturation, this bottle was as good as any I`ve had; the inviting aromatics had spicy and lightly toasted black fruit; the taste profile had more spice accents to the black raspberry, blueberry, red cherry/ berry fruit; it was full bodied, had wonderful structure, great texture and a driving energy sustained throughout; it is full of life force and has many years of consummate pleasing to go.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_1694.jpeg

ABC produces some really great Pinot. We just had the '16 Santa Barbara County, $21, last night. Ready to go now and so enjoyable.

I have a few older Isabelles sitting, but nothing quite that far back. Just waiting for a fitting occasion.

My wife helped Isabelle get into college…does that count??

Not too surprised that this Pinot held up so well.
Like BobLindquist’s wines, it’s the balance that carries it out so far.
Plus the 20% Syrah that Jim always adds to hi Pinots!! [stirthepothal.gif]
Tom

Tom,

Are you confusing Refosco with Syrah?? Again!

Great note Blake, love Jim’s wines.

Quick question: do you notice any change in style/ blend in Isabelle or Knox Alexander wines over the last 20 years?

Mel, you and your wife always count.

Great question Subu and one Ive thought about often. The answer is yes. I think it has more to do with the vintage and the vineyards expression plus he has added other vineyards to the blend. As far as I know, Jim has not tried to replicate the taste profile, but has attempted to put out the best blend possible regardless of all other factors. Bien Nacido still represents a major portion of the blend and the spicy component remains in tact as a result.

Mitch, you will be happy with any and all. They are holding up beautifully and they do deserve a special occasion.

Thanks for the TN. I still have a few of these from 95 and 96 purchased via the Wine Cask futures program. I loved Doug M’s futures program and I was able to purchase many great wines from the Santa Barbra area that were unavailable to me in the mid-west. ABC, Babcock, Talley, Ojai, Sanford and Tensley are some of the great wines he offered. Most were single vineyard special cuvees produced in less than 250 case lots. The prices were good too. A real education in wine and the quality coming out of the area at the time.

Thanks BB, one of my long term experiments is with a bottle of the '97(ripe year for sure, I know), not sure when I’ll open it, but your note is encouraging. Fwiw, the label on my 97 looks way worse than your '95.

Totally agree. Dougs futures events were extra special with the winemakers pouring most of the goodies offered and advance pricing at reasonable fare. I took advantage of this year after year and still have some of these treasures. Thanks for the flashback. Good move getting the 95 and 96`.

CJ, my label was the worst of the remaining bottles I have and I pulled it because of that. I have not had the 97 in a long time. If you open it, Id be interested in how it is showing as I have that vintage as well.

Ah that explains it, that spice box component is a signature of all PNs I have had by Jim…