When to drink 1994 vintage Ports?

I’ve only got a few (Dow, Graham), but I seem to get opinions all over the place on when I should start drinking these. While I have no doubt they’re nowhere near decline, are they entering prime drinking windows yet? Should I continue to wait?

Had the Taylor about 6 months ago. It’s still very primary but quite enjoyable.

Had a Dow a few months ago. Tasty but patience is a virtue with the 94s in general, IMO. Decant if you open one.

I know there are many here that will not touch a vintage port until it is at least 30-40 years old, but IMHO, a 20-year old port will have reached a sweet spot and will deliver the goods. I’ve had a couple of 94’s in the last two years and I would not describe them as primary - but that is just me. I’m sure a little decant time wouldn’t hurt, but I didn’t really notice any evolution over a couple of days either.

In general the top '94s are not even close to ready.

Having said that, I had Dow’s from both .375 and .750 in the last couple years, and the .375 was more approachable and pleasurable.

Graham’s and Dow’s from .750 (or larger) are babies.

Cheers,
Blair

I think it really depends on the house. The (earlier maturing) Martinez is drinking beautifully now, for example, but there are others that have hardly evolved.

You can drink them now if you want. But the ones you mentioned are still decades away from total maturity. I’d recommend a good solid 6-8+ hours decanting if you open one.

Had a Dow a couple of months ago, blind and it was fantastic.

If I was a young guy like Blair I would agree to hold but I’m glad to have tried one at this point.

Hi Coop,

Let me know how to remit payment for this…lol!!! [cheers.gif]

Hope you are enjoying the summer now that the smoke has cleared!

Cheers,
Blair

All the best to you as well. Currently enjoying retirement. I hope it lasts.

In AFWE-speak, “Primary” means, still tastes good.

First question should be - How do you like your Ports?..and then the drinkability could be determined…based on your response the answer could be drink tonight or in 50 years.

• 1994 Fonseca Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (2/27/2017)
    Bought on release. 8 hour decant. This is a wow port even though it is still very primary. Ultra-smooth and silky. This wine is Marlene Deitrich singing Falling in Love Again. Greta Garbo saying “I want to be alone.” There are no rough edges despite its youth and it just slips through your mouth and envelopes you in a cloak of warmth and joy. Flavor - red fruit and that flavor that Touriga Nacional has even when dry. I can’t describe it but I’ve had the grape twice blind as a dry wine and it was obvious both times.

I have two more bottles of this. I think the next one waits 5 years until my 70th Birthday and then I’ll decide on the third one. If you like aged port and you’re significantly younger than I am, find yourself a case with good provenance and open a bottle every five years. I drank a 1955 Dows last year and it was no where near the end of its life. My guess is that this will last longer than that. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1994 is a great Port vintage … if you have alternatives, I would say “wait” for the Vintage Ports …
I have enjoyed some LBV 1994 from half bottles, but even these are not fully mature IMHO …

I rather prefer to drink some 1992s (halfes) or Quintas from 1991, 1989, 1986 … or a vintage Port from 1985, 82, 80 or older …

I recently commented on this forum an excellent Taylor 1994 drunk at Taylor’s in Vila Nova de Gaïa.

Still very young of course …

Agree - this is outstanding (tasted from a half in April, with a Dow 94 which is also fine but less powerful) … but (as you say) very youthful …!

Generally every beverage is “drinkable” even on release … or from cask … but “mature” is another thing (and certainly a matter of taste)

Gerhard,

I really like young vintage Ports.
Do Noval Nacional 2003 (19,5/20) and Taylor Vargellas Vinha Velha 2009 (19/20) highlighted my recent trip to Porto.

Some Port enthusiasts I know consider '94 to be the last of the really older style, classic VP’s.

They are jam packed with stuffing and structure, and the best ones really are 10 - 20 years away from being at peak, but with enough decant time most can still be enjoyed now, especially if you like them young.

The '94 Nacional for example is just superb, but it really so one of those VP’s that needs 20 plus years more…

Great advice, all, thank you. Hands-off it is.

Michael, fair question. While I haven’t had a lot of VP in my days, the ones I have had struck me with the complexity that age adds. When they’re too young, their primary nature and “sweetness” sticks out to me a bit too much. But, then again, I’ve got relatively little experience. I have had zero 1994s, so I had no idea where they were, outside of notes on CT.