TN: Some Eclectic, Spectacular Wines

SOME ECLECTIC, SPECTACULAR WINES - Santa Ynez Valley (8/13/2017-8/14/2017)

A visit from great friends led to some sweet drinking over the course of two consecutive evenings. The contrast amongst the bottles was especially notable.
Night 1

• 1988 Fiorano (Boncompagni Ludovisi) Sémillon Botte 47 Vino da Tavola - Italy, Latium, Vino da Tavola (8/13/2017)
    Dark yellow veering towards amber. Fresh on the nose, with a lanolin/citrus aroma. Definitely in good shape (I’ve had bad bottles from other vintages). Somewhat austere on the palate, with lemon skin, wax and faint honey flavors. Having had a lot of “The Prince’s” old whites, I am still debating whether these are more of a treasure or a novelty. (91 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine du Haut Bourg Muscadet-Côtes de Grandlieu Origine - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet-Côtes de Grandlieu (8/13/2017)
    Pale chiffon in the glass. Clean and inviting nose of melon and orange oil that somehow meshed well. Savory palate, with notes of citrus, chalk and saline. Fine acidity. Very refreshing. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Chanin Chardonnay Los Alamos Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (8/13/2017)
    Too sweet for my taste. In contrast to others’ TNs, seemed lacking in acid to balance the concentrated fruit. (88 pts.)
  • 1989 Henschke Abbotts Prayer - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Lenswood (8/13/2017)
    My last bottle, and these will be remembered fondly. The crumbling cork did not belie a flawed bottle (for once!). Light bodied, with a beautifully perfumed nose and gentle layers of sweet cedared red fruit, distinctively minty. The acidity was quite evident, and there was a notable salinity as well. Gorgeous stuff. (93 pts.)
  • 1999 Henschke Shiraz Hill of Grace - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Eden Valley (8/13/2017)
    Elegant, almost shy nose of sweet red fruit, balsam and a touch of smoke. Light and expansive on the palate, seamless notes of cassis, vanilla and mint. Mild VA, which suited the wine well in IMO. Sweet, creamy tannins. Long finish. Not the best H.o.G. I’ve enjoyed but even when less than perfect, these beauties are very special indeed. (94 pts.)
  • 2008 Sine Qua Non Syrah The Duel - USA, California, Central Coast (8/13/2017)
    One-hour decant, could have used more. Perfumed nose of violets, smoke and bacon fat. Rich, powerful and lush palate (no surprise), with notes of concentrated, sweet blue fruit, smoked meat and baking spices. Would have shown better with 4+ hours of air, and should improve further with more time in the bottle IMO. Not something I’d reach for every day, but impressive for what it is.

Update from Night 2: The wine is stubbornly unbudged. Time failed to move this big boy one iota… (93 pts.)

Night 2

• 2003 Roberto Voerzio Barolo Brunate - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (8/14/2017)
    A muscular, masculine Barolo, showing great pedigree and class in a very hot year. Classic notes of rose petals and fennel emerge with time. Tough, chewy tannins and a nice rusticity. Not classic, but darn enjoyable. (92 pts.)
  • 1990 Clos du Mont-Olivet Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Cuvée du Papet - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (8/14/2017)
    What an awesome CdP. A VA funk quickly blew off, revealing an enticing and savory nose of meat juice, olive and balsam. Beautifully textured on the palate, with black olives dominating the captivating blend of black fruit and pepper. A singular wine, unmistakably of its place. Faded a bit after two hours or so. Still at peak but with a limited window once opened, I think. (94 pts.)

Such a pleasure to get together, with the world class wines sweetening the pot immeasurably.

Looks like a fantastic selection of wines, my friend! Was that Abbot’s Prayer one that you’ve opened for me or ‘us’ in the past? My guess is that it is.

Love the eclecticness of the selections - and interesting notes on the SQN. Did you try on Day 3 to see if it’s changed? It would be pretty ‘atypical’ if it did not, correct?

Cheers.

One and the same re: Abbot’s Prayer. The SQN was drained by Night Two. I do have some CdP and Barolo left though… [cheers.gif]

So you drained the SQN on day 2 even though it hadn’t budged? Seems unlike you, knowing your curiosity about these things . . . champagne.gif

And you around later?

Cheers!

Jonathan, were either of the Henschke wines under screwcap?

Neither, in these instances.

Great lineup and notes JG!

I still remember the taste of that Atlantis you so generously brought to one of your early Sydney visits, it’s something that stays with you for a long time!

Didn’t know you’re a Henschke fan, should you manage to find an excuse to make your way down here again or vice versa it’d be a pleasure to share an older bottle of Mt Ed with you!