A California Chardonnay That Is At Its Best On Day 4?

I guess the relevant question might be whether or not it tastes as good after 4 days of air, as others do on day 1. Is that degree of reduction advisable? Chamboulé Chardonnay Takes to the Air | Wine-Searcher News & Features

Kosta Browne is working on the same thing. We tasted a KB El Diablo (not released) chard from a 5 day old bottle at the winery last week. It was as fresh as new.

This reminds me of a Burgundian winemaker who told local restaurateurs to open up a bottle of her whites a day in advance.

This is not surprising at all. We all know that wines are often judged really quickly - usually within minutes of trying them. Yet we also know that many wines simply need time to open up . . .

Many wines are given the ‘benefit of the doubt’, either due to previous experience with them or their reputation (an Alban Syrah would be a good example of this for most - but not Tom Hill, of course!!!).

Many others really do not strut their stuff until they’ve been open hours - or in some cases, days. I opened a bottle my 2016 Mourvedre Rose, served it, then ‘forgot’ about it in a wine bag where it remained, in 65 degree temperatures, for 5 days. Upon unscrewing - the wine was as fresh as day 1.

Cheers

Too much SO2, Larry!

No my friend - not at all!!!

Just pure genius!

Mais oui [cheers.gif]

I’ve yet to experience a wine that I thought improved on Day 2. Plenty of wines that were still good, but never better (for me).

Everyone’s palate is different, not discounting anyone who has found differently.

This is an issue that has been covered many times here.
Burgundian whites can be very reductive so I suppose breathing might help, but then so would a copper penny…not a zinc one!

deadhorse

I’ve lost count of how many threads there are on this topic. But I’ll take the bait.

I would just ask what wines you drink, primarily, because I think that makes a big difference. And are you refrigerating them or leaving them out at room temperature?

I figured it was best on day 4 when you dumped it down the drain. That’s usually where I like my Cali chards.

You said it yourself, too many other threads that address this. I’ll save my opinions for one of those.

I hate when people are too lazy to summarize an article because I’m too lazy to click on the link

Eric, what do you do with partially consumed bottles?