95` Guigal La Landonne, La Mouline, La Turque more La Las, 7 champagnes, 6 white Burgs, much more

WOW! Our dinner group had an unbelievable evening with an epic WOW factor as in a Wonderful Outstanding Wines.

Seventeen of us dined at the Plow & Angel restaurant located on the luxury resort property of the San Ysidro Ranch. As usual, we were seated in the classy outdoor patio dining area.

The initial wine theme request was for top tier white Burgs, Champagnes, and Guigal La Las as well as any Rostaing and Delas for those who actually had these for comparison.

One of our members has an extensive collection of Guigal La Las and other serious wines from this producer and offered to bring numerous gems. As a result, many others jump onboard and the wine theme expanded into a massive exploration of fabulous N. Rhones with an emphasis on the Guigal La Las.

Also as usual, we had many more wines than people, in this case, 7 champagnes, 6 white Burgundy and 1 white N. Rhone, 10 red N. Rhone and 2 dessert wines= WOW as in wow! The wines:

7 champagnes with the last 2 drunk at the end:

NV BOLLINGER BRUT ROSE- pleasant bubbly with fresh toasty red raspberry and strawberry notes delivered in a frothy mousse; relatively dry, refreshing and nicely balanced; a consistently fine rose that I cherish.

NV FALLET-DART BRUT ROSE- high dosage with fresh red raspberry, red cherry and strawberry in a medium body with nice length; in good balance with bright acidity; very tasty and a perfect segue into the lighter fruit style of red Burgs/ Pinot Noir [on another night].

1996 VEUVE CLICQUOT la GRANDE DAME BRUT- nice bring unfortunately it was DOA.

NV EGLY-OURIET les VIGNES de VRIGNY BRUT 1ER CRU- 100% Pinot Meunier; minimal dosage; from the nose on, this was a big bursting bubbly; the fruit profile was mostly of stone fruit with a touch of saline; it had a huge amount of spritz and provided a mouthful of explosive flavours; it was quite a contest to the other champagnes.

NV PIERRE PETERS CUVEE de RESERVE BLANC de BLANC- magnum; nice bubbly with balanced acidity to support the apple, pear and citrus fruit accented with a dose of minerality; it held on with consistency as we went back much later on in the evening and re-tasted it with similar notes, an advantage of magnums; great bring.

NV RUPPERT-LEROY FOSSE-GRELY BRUT NATURE- as implied by the name, this was dry and as such for me I found it to be very pleasing with more pure notes of fresh citrus and light red fruit, seemingly the finer expression of both Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.

2006 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT NATURE- my first exposure to this was last year while attending a champagne tasting put on by Louis Roederer in conjunction with caviar from Black River Caviar; I found it to be quite pleasant then and this was consistent; it had dry [no dosage] spicy citrus with lemon zest especially, along with fresh pear and a streak of minerals; I loved the frothy mousse and clean notes; 55% Pinot Noir, 25% Pinot Meunier, 20% Chardonnay.

6 white Burgs:

2014 MOREY-COFFINET BLANCHOTS DESSUS CHASSAGNE-MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- this really hit all of the spots for me and my sensory receptors went crazy good ; it was beautifully balanced and gave up generous amounts of mineral laced citrus, apple and pear notes; the creamy texture carried all of the attributes to the back end and held on for a long finish; I actually voted it white WOTN.

2013 DOMAINE HENRI BOILLOT CLOS de la MOUCHERE PULIGNY-MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- another fabulous wine, this one having some mineral infused fresh citrus notes set upon a fine structure and possessing nice acidity; it was rich and luscious on the palate; assured to evolve over time with a bight outcome.

2010 LOUIS LATOUR CORTON CHARLEMAGNE GRAND CRU- this was an atypical bottle with more of a Chablis like character; it had a flinty nose and a streak of minerals running throughout; there was mild lemon notes in the perfume and beyond; light in weight, it had an elegance and finesse abut it; missing the expected power of this GC, I`m wondering if this as an example of a corked wine prior to the wet cardboard notes?

2010 LOUIS JADOT BATARD-MONTRACHET GRAND CRU- this wine had some mature notes of butterscotch, peach and caramel suggestive of early pre-mox; the colour was yellow gold; it had a lot of viscosity; I could only imagine how wonderful this could be when it`s in the perfect place.

2013 ETIENNE SAUZET la GARENNE PULIGNY-MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- loaded with minerals, this full bodied beauty had nice citrus flavours with a touch of flint coming in late; it had a creamy rich texture and a long finish; sooo good.

2015 PIERRE-YVES COLIN-MOREY LA COMME SANTENAY 1ER CRU- another treat from this consistently fine producer; it hits all of the right spots with an inviting nose, great mouthfeel carrying fresh citrus flavours and an extended finish; it had elegance and exuded class; loved it.

1 white Hermitage:

2013 DELAS FRERES DOMAINE des TOURETTES HERMITAGE BLANC- 100% Marsanne; this was outstanding with its honeyed citrus, mineral laden flavours delivered in a full bodied texture; ginger and spice also join the taste treat as well as some herbal and apple notes.

1 red Hermitage served alone:

1990 PAUL JABOULET LA CHAPELLE HERMITAGE- another outstanding bring and a wine Ive treasured over many years; this was a good bottle with dark, vibrant still viable colour representative of the wine itself; theres liquorice and spice accents to the plum, blackberry and cranberry fruit; it was full bodied and long; sooo good.

And now for the other stars of the show. First flight of 2:

1995 E. GUIGAL BRUNE et BLONDE COTE ROTIE- 2% Viognier blended in; this was the classic taste treat I`ve always known it to be with its pepper and spice accents to the plum and blackberry fruit; it had wonderful mouthfeel and the spicy fruit just kept on lingering, one of my favs of all the reds/ wines; it was better than my notes state.

1995 E. GUIGAL CHATEAU dAMPUIS COTE ROTIE- this nicely balanced wine gave up numerous treasures including pepper and liquorice flavoured blackberry with a touch of chocolate; its in a great lace now and can hold up for years to come; another big time winner.

Second flight of 3 1995 La Las:

1995 E. GUIGAL LA LANDONNE COTE ROTIE- 100% Syrah, as usual; the nose had an unexpected burnt wood component, but after that it was all good and as expected; it was spicy and peppery as I like it complimenting the plum, blueberry and blackberry fruit; it had wonderful texture and a long satisfying finish; outstanding and one of the WOTN IMHO.

1995 E. GUIGAL LA MOULINE COTE ROTIE- 10% Viognier; this was a mellow version of past bottles with a degree of elegance and a lighter weight and body with mild fruitiness and an abbreviated finish.

1995 E. GUIGAL LA TURQUE COTE ROTIE- I believe this got the consensus WOTN and rightfully so; it had all of the requisite pepper and spice laden blackberry, plum and blueberry notes being delivered with a fantastic mouthfeel; it was perfectly balanced and kept unfolding with time in the glass; this was the epitome of power and finesse.

3rd flight of 4 extraordinary red N. Rhones:

2004 E. GUIGAL LA TURQUE COTE ROTIE- so easy on the palate, this was soft and silky with understated peppery cranberry and red cherry; as such it had a degree of elegance and charm which I found delightful; others might say this was somewhat closed and not fully expressive and I would not argue the point, but wish I had it in my cellar.

2005 E.GUIGAL LA MOULINE COTE ROTIE- unlike the 04 La Turque, this was big and bold with fully expressive and not yet in balance fruit, acids and flavours; it was a pubescent highly energetic wine; it had depth and complexity of red and black fruit even though its colour was a deep, dark ruby; Im not sure decanting would have helped, but leaving the cork in tack and waiting for a few years is recommended.

2003 E. GUIGAL EX VOTO ERMITAGE- 15.5% abv. which may be about 2% low; this was a serious challenge for my palate; it exuded extreme power and little finesse; following the spicy hot nose, came more spice laden sweet blackberry and black currant aided by liquorice and dark chocolate; a strong oaky streak ran though the entire experience; it finished very hot; it was majorly concentrated and struggled to reach a certain level of balance; I presume it will reach that point and will be all that it is reputed to be; it certainly has all of the stuffings.

2011 ROSTAING LA LANDONNE COTE ROTIE- young and yet approachable, this had sweet blackberry and blueberry fruit with a hit of liquorice; it was easy on the palate and had some finesse and charm; this is not to be confused with the La Landonne from Guigal which is a very different animal.

We had 2 champagnes noted above and 2 dessert wines:

2007 KLEIN CONSTANTIA VIN de CONSTANCE- 500 ml.; 100% Muscat from South Africa; yellow gold colour; apricot nectar deluxe; a little sip will do you just fine; it`s very rich, thick and syrupy and would be great on pancakes.

2001 SCHOFFIT CLOS SAINT THEOBALD RANGEN de THANN TOKAY PINOT GRIS ALSACE- syrupy spicy pineapple and orange flavours abound in this dessert in a glass taste treat.

What else can I say other than WOW!

Cheers,
Blake

Please excuse typos and unintended auto-corrects
IMG_8748.JPG
IMG_8758.JPG
IMG_8759.JPG
IMG_8760.JPG
IMG_8761.JPG
IMG_8763.JPG

nice but all 17 on each bottle? Love Moucheres.

We had judicious pours and somehow it all worked. I know I had enough to drink and the mag of champagne picked up any slack for some of us.

more pics:
IMG_8747.JPG
IMG_8749.JPG
IMG_8750.JPG
IMG_8754.JPG
IMG_8757.JPG

more pics:
IMG_8769.JPG
IMG_8779.JPG
IMG_8786.JPG
IMG_8787.JPG

dessert:
IMG_8787.JPG
IMG_8780.JPG
IMG_8781.JPG

Splendid tasting and notes, Blake. I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time for a comparative 94/95 La La tasting in Cleveland with Loren and others (along with some other comparative brings) and it was one of the memorable dinners of my life.

You’re right about that Constantia :slight_smile: Swee–eeet. Pleased to see the Boillot 13 performed so well. And fine Champers also.

Skal

Mike

Great notes on an incredible night Blake! Shocking that were all able to get enough from each bottle (not quite the miracle of the bread and fish, but still a bit of a surprise), but I guess that’s why we keep practicing so hard at this . . .

Hi Mike, It`s always a joy to have comparison tastings of these gems. This one was lifetime memorable for me.

Henry, we certainly had a stellar evening and after the multitude of tastes, my palate needed resurrecting afterwards. My right wrist had a slight carpal tunnel issue from al of the swirling.

Henry, feel free to post our notes herein.

Only because it’s you…

I’ve had one La La. Your good friend Gob pulled it out of his stash and it was mind blowing. Appreciate the notes and I’ll toast you when I’m back there in a couple of weeks :wink:
IMG_1091.JPG

Thanks Andrew. Great pull by Gob. I`ll be in Amsterdam from 9/17- 10/17. Are you there during that time?

Can probably do a later dinner on Tuesday, 9/19 (will Thalys in from Brussels). Small chance of the following night, as well, if I can bail out of a local event. Will check the train schedule and let you know. Sept/Oct are terrible for me, as I hit 14 countries in 2 months :frowning:

Actually, we leave on the 17th and arrive on the 18th. Our plans are not set up yet, but it is certainly a possibility my wife and I can make it on that night. We can do PMs if necessary and email address exchange.

Just saw this Blake! Here you go . . .

bubbles . . .
Bollinger Brut Rose: absolutely loved the complexity and earthiness of this beauty
Fallet-Dart Brut Rose: another nice Rose, just not up to the Bollinger
1999 Veuve Cliqout la Grand Dame Brut: did not try
NV Egly-Ouriet les Vignes de Vrigny Brut 1er Cru: there was a creaminess to this which I really enjoyed; very satisfying
NV Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve Blanc de Blanc (Magnum): wow, lively, explosive and light on its feet; the sort of thing you could just keep drinking all night long

white Burgs . . .
2014 Morey-Coffinet Blanchots Dessus Chassagne-Montrachet, 1er Cru: a perfectly balanced drinking experience; a joy to drink
2013 Henri Boillot Clos de la Mouchere Puligny-Montrachet, 1er Cru: consistently excellent; this is why I keep buying this nearly every vintage; one of my favorite white Burg bottling; great life-force, yet concentrated and rich with miles ahead
2010 Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne, Grand Cru: loved how light on its feet this was while still delivering the goods
2010 Louis Jadot Batard-Montrachet, Grand Cru: loved the depth of this; easy to get lost in the bouquet for a while
2013 Etienne Sauzet la Garenne Puligny-Montrachet, 1er Cru: despite its youth, this just made me think old-school; what came to mind was that if I pulled out an encyclopedia and looked up ‘fine wine’, there would simply be a photo of a bottle of this; complex with just the perfect amount of richness; wonderful
2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey La Comme Santenay, 1er Cru: unbelievable QPR in white Burg (although not the QPR of the night; that is coming later!); bright, fresh and lively, with plenty of upfront fruit; just lacking a bit of complexity and depth

white Hermitage . . .
2013 Delas Freres Domaine des Tourettes Hermitage Blanc: too young, rich, syrupy, and over-the-top for my palate; nothing wrong with this, and I can see why plenty of folks would enjoy this profile, just not my cuppa

reds . . .
1990 Paul Jaboulet Aîné “La Chapelle” Hermitage: silky smooth and classic; the grace, elegance and class glide across your palate and lingers forever; perfectly integrated supple young saddle leather, tobacco shop, and luxurious dark fruit; very special and I’m very fortunate to be able to experience this magnificent beauty (97/98)

1995 Guigal Brune et Blonde Cote Rotie: easy QPR of the night, if not the year; wonderful; can’t believe how well this has aged and the value it delivers; drinking well above its price point (93)
1995 Guigal Chateau d’Ampuis Cote Rotie: wow, explosively expressive and full of delicious red licorice as well as anise; loved this (94)
1995 Guigal La Landonne Cote Rotie: my favorite of the ’95 La La’s on this night; just a beautiful wine in a perfect place at this time; would love to have been able to soak this in for a while longer; one of the wines where I wished the pours could have been a big bigger; outstanding (97/98)
1995 Guigal La Mouline Cote Rotie: a monster wine that is still a pup with the most upside potential of the La La’s; so much life ahead of this; would love to be able to revisit in five years; remarkable (97)
1995 Guigal La Turque Cote Rotie: others liked this way more than I did; it seemed a bit awkward in comparison to the other La La’s (93)

2004 Guigal La Turque Cote Rotie: dark, clean and tight; needed to open up (93)
2005 Guigal La Mouline Cote Rotie – my WOTN; a heady nose leads to an insane level of power and concentration perfectly balanced with beautiful aromatics and nuanced complexity; one of those wines that excites you so much that it almost takes your breath away (98/99)
2003 Guigal Ex Voto Ermitage: a massive wall of black that is nowhere near resolved; let these monsters sleep (96)

2011 Rostaing La Landonne Cote Rote: following the ’03 Ex Voto, this seemed rather subdued; where the Ex Voto was dark, brooding and serious, this seemed joyful and ready to come out and play; lots of exuberant fruit and licorice (94)

dessert . . .
2007 Klein Constantia Vin de Constance: did not spend too much time with this; sweet and syrupy
2001 Schoffit Clos Saint Theobald Rangen de Thann Tokay Pinot Gris Alsace: as with the Klein, did not spend much time with this; nice enough, but not enough to made me want to stick around for extra sip

then to wash away the sweetness . . .
NV Ruppert-Leroy Fosse-Grely Brut Nature: didn’t make it around to this one
2006 Louis Roederer Brut Nature Starck: loved this; dry and yet bursting with citrus and stone fruit; perfect way to end the night

Cheers!

Great, succinct notes Henry. We shared some similar thoughts on many. I like your style of passing or minimising on some of the wines.