Best American Riesling

What is the best American Riesling?

Trisaetum?

Here’'s a few solid ones to start with

Not nearly as good as the best from Germany, Austria, or Alsace? [snort.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

My personal opinion (obviously only based on the ones I have tried) is that the Navarro Late Harvest Cluster Select is the best made in the US.

Ha! You jumped ahead of me as I was typing, Jay!

Having recently had a couple of Navarro Late Harvests with a decade or more of age, Navarro has to be near the top of the list. On a par in quality with very good German Ausleses and Beerenauslesen.

Why do you think this is? Soil? vineyard age?

I don’t drink that much Riesling, but try Paetra. To my taste, it’s on a level with the best German Rieslings.

Dr Konstatin Frank was the first that came to mind for me. Although I’m out of touch with the current state of Funger Lakes Riesling so there may be some up and comers. There’s also a lot of promise out of Michigan, and since you didn’t say US, Niagara also has several top notch Riesling.

Can’t resist (I tried). The best?? for real ? That’s so subjective .

I should clarify. Morten Hallgren from Ravines is coming to CO to lead the third “Cultivar Camp” on Riesling. We have identified a selection of Alsatian, Austrian, Australian, Finger Lakesian and German Riesling to pour but are looking for the finest example of U.S. West Coast (preferably on the dry side of the spectrum) Riesling. We’ve been thinking Eroica, Navarro, and Smith-Madrone. I was just looking for some other suggestions that we may be overlooking.

I would avoid anything from Funger Lakes; doesn’t sound appetizing at all.

In addition to Navarro, some of the old Arrowood Special Select Late Harvest Rieslings were excellent back in the day.

Bruce

I am well aware of the subjective nature of that. If I wanted an absolute answer without snark and opinion I would not have come to Wineberserkers… [snort.gif]

From a PNW perspective (I know nothing of CA, NY or MI Riesling) - skip Eroica and Poet’s Leap if you are looking for dryer wines. Try Paetra, Love & Squalor, Ovum, Brooks, and Savage Grace.

If you want WA representation besides Savage Grace, seek out Rieslings from Evergreen Vineyard and Underwood Mountain, although I’m not sure who produces in a dry style from these site (Efeste perhaps?).

Well I was going to suggest Ravines, but I see you’re on that.

I second the suggestion of Paetra, it should match up well against the German and Austrian offerings. Teutonic is also very good.

If you are looking specifically on the dry end of things Brooks makes some trocken style wines that I don’t care for but are certainly well made. I really like their off dry Bois Jolie. Or you could do a lot worse than the Eminence Farms riesling.

Good point !! And hope you find the best Riesling!!

From Napa, I would suggest Trefethen.

From SB County, I would suggest Tatomer and Timbre (used to be La Fenetre)

Cheers

Also, any chance you can post the line up here when it’s finalized? I, for one, would be very interested to see what you and Morten come up with.

I was going to say Ravines or Hermann J Wiemer. In all honesty I think the FLX far outstrips what I’ve had from the West Coast, but the best West Coast rieslings I had were from Oregon. Brooks had some I was impressed with.