New releases - Podere Salicutti

"At this year’s VinItaly, I had a chance to spend some time with Francesco Leanza; after 20 minutes of talking about some his past vintages that I’ve enjoyed, I also had some time to taste his newly released wines. My experience with the Podere Salicutti wines prior to meeting him prepared me, if just a little, for our meeting, but there are certain things that can only be learned as a result of sitting and talking, face to face. That said, I’m glad to have had the opportunity to learn more about the vision and dedication here, and, of course, taste the wines.

As a wine journalist/critic, a part of me glass is half full, goooo underdog!) wants to like everything I taste, and a part of me wants to find some faults with everything (cynic, pragmatist, economist, New York native, etc.). In many respects, I continue as the posterchild for those born under the Gemini sign.

This four days at VinItaly was going to different; I promised myself as much. You see, I was trying to leave everything I knew about a wine/label/points/scores/vintages/the winegrowers, modern vs. traditional (read: noise, all of it) and park it outside in the car lot somewhere; my goal was to focus solely on what’s in the glass – easier said than done when years of memorization/learning/tasting/press/noise lurks ubiquitously in the dark corners of the brain.

link to my blog post Podere Salicutti – humility and genius – ItalianWine.blog

thanks for looking, and happy hunting if you already know these wines

If one wanted to try and get a glimpse of the “new wave” in high end Brunello, trying the wines made by the “three amigos”, i.e., Salicutti, Pian 'dell Orino and Stella di Campalto, would be a great place to start.

Tim: Great write up!

Bob: How do you characterize the “new wave”? What sets the producers apart?

Love to learn and broaden my knowledge… newhere

Subu, rather than me trying to explain it, here’s a link to their joint website, which I believe they established once they had all made the decision to drop out of the Brunello Consorzio a number of years ago.