TN: Bouchard Lamborghini Latour Frescobaldi Grahams

Notes from a brown bag blind tasting dinner July 2017

2009 Pfaffenheim Tokay Pinot Gris Steinert Grand Cru – I am an Alsatian fan (as long as they aren’t dogs…) Sweet floral nose with some honey, finishing with some residual sugar, pear and low acidity.

1998 Bouchard Aine Gevrey Chambertin – this village wine was a bit pale in colour and showed some nice spice notes in the nose, but absolutely no varietal hints which was unusual. Still has significant tannins and a bit lean.

2003 Louis Latour Aloxe-Corton – this Burg, in contrast, showed a nice Pinot nose of red cherry and hints of slight funkiness. Nicely balanced on the mouth and medium length.

2000 Lamborghini Campoleone – I liked this one a lot despite the fact that it was from my cellar (I tend t be a bit more critical on my own wines). Quite dark colour with an earthy cedar and dark fruit nose which turned to cherry on palate, and a nice long smooth finish. Still on the upward arc, or just onto the aging plateau.

2001 Castelgiocondo Brunello – also fairly dark but with lightening edges and with cherry, spice and a slight earthiness, ending well. Great run of Italians!

2007 Castelgiocondo Brunello – interesting and very close in quality with the 2001. Sweeter fruit in the nose, but slightly lighter on palate and similar finish.

2001 Masia Carreras – I had never tasted this Spanish wine before, but will keep an eye out for it. This Tempranillo, Syrah, Cabernet blend showed dark ripe fruit in the nose with some currant and vanilla. Ripe, rich and smooth on palate and good length.

2002 Florent de Merode Corton-Clos du Roi – light red with lightening edges, warm Pinot nose featuring red fruit and a hint of smokiness. Cherry flavours (this is getting monotonous!) and excellent length. I have the 2001 Les Bressandes – time to get tasting, I think.

2006 Mission Hill Quatrain – the name of this BC wine comes from the blend of syrah (the largest component), cab, cab franc, and merlot. Dark wine with a big ripe nose of black cherry and blackberry, and a big presence in the mouth, although lacking complexity. Came across like a Californian wine made in BC. A bit on the ripe and simple side, but well made.

1988 Patrick M. Paul Cabernet Franc – this Walla Walla wine was dead the last time this person presented it and was just as dead this time. Same guy brought both; not sure whether to attribute this repeated abuse of us to faulty memory, hope springing eternally or more basic character flaws,

1985 Grahams Port – great way to end the evening. The nose was not as sweet as some Grahams. Now showing medium colour and the nose a symphony of treacle tart and spice with a mint underlay. Not too hot on palate, and with some pruny black cherry and raspberry flavours. Long and smooth finish. This is the best showing I’ve experienced from this wine by far. I may have to consider staring in on my modest stash in the near future.

Great notes Bill. The PG as the 2009. The Cabernet Franc had not improved with another year in the cellar.

I thought the two best wines were the Lamborghini and the Masia Carreras. I preferred the more ethereal 07 Catelgiocondo to my 01. The Quatrain to me was like a sledge hammer.

'85 Ports were a steal up through '00, before the hype…the '85 Grahams is the bomb…