A VERY UNUSUAL recommendation ...

I´ve tasted several Vermentinos this week in Sardignia - quite a nice surprise, all were really good wines - and a perfect match with the local seafood and fish … most between 15 and 20 € in the restaurants.

Highlight: Vermentino di Gallura “Li Pastini” - Cantina Li Seddi - 2015
quite full transparent yellow colour, very nice nose of stone fruits, peach, grapy and a bit spicy … good acidity and just the extra amount of length and intensity that set it apart … a look on the label: 15% !
[wow.gif]

Not in the least hot or overripe or heavy - but lively and refreshing … perfect with the (cold) octopus (starter) and later the seabass …

It was 14 (!) € in the restaurant … and certainly far less than 10,- in retail (in Sardignia) …

No idea if any Vermentino is available for you … but if yes and not too expensive … I´d give it a try
(it´s neither a Montrachet nor a Haut-Brion blanc … and also no match for the better Austrian Sauvignons and Rieslings … but something nice and a bit different than usual …)

Shouldn’t be surprised: these are great seafood-summer wines.

I wasn´t very familiar with these so far …

This particular “Li Pastini” was worth 89 (very conservative) points to me …

Really enjoyed the vermentino “Corse” from corsica

Not unusual at all…Italian whites are so under the radar. Loved them from the Sardinia as well as Corsica.

I have also enjoyed a Vermentino from Paso Robles by Tablas Creek…it was a splendid summer wine, great with seafood, salads.

Ryme makes a great Vermentino from Las Brisas Vineyard in Sonoma. They actually make 2 different ones (same vineyard, different elevage), but I’ve only had the Hers. Highly recommend it.

+1

There are lots of crisp, refreshing vermentinos with lots of flavor interest from various regions. In Liguria the grape is usually known as pigato, and in Piemonte it’s called favorita: Vermentino - Wikipedia

Steve Edmunds at Edmunds St. John in California makes a delightful blend of grenache blanc and vermentino, Heart of Gold, that’s reliably interesting and fresh every year. It was inspired by a trip he took to Liguria some years back.

ehem … from Corsica it´s French wine … not Italian … [whistle.gif]

I appreciate Gerhard’s recommendation. For those of us who don’t follow the enormously diverse Italian wine scene that closely (though its diversity is one of its cooler attributes), we remember Vermentino especially as something to steer clear of (though not in the Cali context). So, it’s good to know. I’ve also been impressed with Cannonau from there, but that’s probably old news to many as well.

Meant to say Italian white Grapes…didnt mean Italian white Wines and throw in a Corsica and a Paso. Sorry for the confusion…

Eric Asimov had a piece in NY times talking about the three Italian Vs…Vermentino, Verdicchio and Vernaccia di san gimignano. I tasted all the three of them in the recent visit Italy. The reserve wines from top producers from all these varieties are so refreshing and are a must in your cellar.

I wonder how much they are (Vermentino di Gallura) states-side … (if available at all) …

Almost all I´ve seen in Sardinia were below 10 € … or between 15 and 20 in restaurants.

On the airport shop the were already around 17 € (!) … [shock.gif]