TN: A Northern Rhone Dinner with Doug

A NORTHERN RHONE DINNER WITH DOUG - Chez Senna (7/22/2017-7/23/2017)

Doug decided a Northern Rhone dinner was in order and he went all out. Our generous hosts went all out and everything – the food, wine, and circuses – was fantastic. A lovely evening with some great people.

The wines were expertly paired by Doug, but between the copious amounts of wine and the conversation it was a but hard to keep accurate track of what was going on. The wines listed are in the order that they were consumed per the notes I took on my phone. I think that I missed out on a couple other wines, but c’est la vie.

• 2004 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Millésime de Collection Vieilles Vignes - France, Champagne (7/23/2017)
    Light/med yellow with a yeasty nose. Very yeasty with tart green apples, a hint of grapefruit and a fine bead. Finishes like liquid bread. For my palate, ready now (I like some citrus notes in my Champagne). A lovely starter. From magnum.
  • 2000 Prager Grüner Veltliner Auslese Achleiten - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (7/23/2017)
    Medium+ yellow colored with a lightly sweet and tropical nose with a hint of almond. Smooth and dense on the palate, with dry tropical flavors mixed with a dollop of unsweetened butterscotch. Finishes slightly bitter with some nuttiness coming through. Will not improve; drink now.

Paired very well with a lettuce and onion soup.

• 2015 Julien Pilon Condrieu Vernon - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu (7/23/2017)
    Pale gold. Floral nose with a pinch of confectioner’s sugar. Purple flowers on the palate with a but of citrus, great freshness and a medium+ finish. A unique wine that was flat out fun to drink.
  • 2002 M. Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (7/23/2017)
    Red fruit and white pepper nose. Red fruits and a healthy does of white pepper on the nose with some licorice on the finish. Tannins are still a bit prickly. There’s plenty of life left and it should be drinking well on it’s 25th birthday.

I liked this quite a bit; the other tasters at the table were a bit more indifferent.

• 2015 Julien Pilon Côte-Rôtie La Porchette - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (7/23/2017)
    Very grapey nose with some of the Viognier poking through. The palate follows the nose; all grapes and flowers in a medium weight package. There’s no complexity to speak of; right now it is just hinting at its future potential. More about grace than power. Hold 2-3 years minimum.
  • 2011 Domaine des Rémizières Hermitage Cuvée Émilie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (7/23/2017)
    Grape, plum and raspberry on the nose and palate. There’s a hint of violets here as well. Nice density; tannins are noticeable but approachable. while drinkable now, patience will be amply rewarded. Recommend hold for 5 years.
  • NV Valdespino Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Palo Cortado Viejo C.P. Single Vineyard Macharnudo alto - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (7/23/2017)
    Nose of almonds, figs, caramel and almonds. The palate was quite dry and tasted primarily of bitter almonds with hints of orange pith and smoke. Interesting, but I don’t really think that I “get” sherry.
  • 2004 Pax Syrah Walker Vine Hill - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (7/23/2017)
    A dense wine that is marked by flavors or blackberry and well-integrated oak. I was worried by the 15.5% abv listed on the label, but it was very well balanced. While it improved with extended aeration, I didn’t get the hype.
  • NV Osborne Pedro Ximénez Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Rare Sherry Pedro Ximénez Viejo - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (7/23/2017)
    This wine was f*cking insane. Our host told us the bottle had been open for 10 years. Thick in the glass, a bit of swirling left a thick yellow haze coating the walls of the glass. Nose is sweet and raisiny. Palate is figs and raisins with just a hint of nuttiness. Thick, viscous and only moderately sweet. Finishes long and gentle. Loved it.

Toward the end of the evening some hard alcohol was poured (not that it was necessary). I was particularly smitten with Blanton’s bourbon. At 93 proof it was way outside my comfort zone, but it was unbelievably tasty. Thanks again to Doug and Senna for your generosity and for a fantastic evening.
Posted from CellarTracker

PS
Rob was there, so that sucked. I’m sorry that you missed it David, but in your absence I drank your share (Jeanine’s too) and it was delicious.

Corey,

The 2011 Hermitage was Domaine de Colombier. In addition, we had a very young showing 1999 Domaine des Remizieres Hermitage Cuvee Emilie. My red wine of the night was the Cuvee Emilie, with the Colombier a solid number two (for whatever that’s worth).

Echoing your sentiment re the dinner and circuses, quite a show. The Pavilion, 1999 Emilie and 2011 Colombier (not in any order) were my favorite reds by far, the Sherries were both trippy, the Condrieu and Gruner very intriguing and also, my first taste of Blantons was a delight.

Sorry to have ruined it for you.

Ah bugger…that was the one that I knew that I likely mixed up.

My WOTN was the Osborne Sherry. That was crazy good…and I’m not a sherry drinker.

I would have thought it would have gone the other way. Maybe when I am back in Chicago in November, we can all get together again & I’ll see if I am able to deduce who it is that ruins the evening (of course, it could be me that ruins it, but we will just have to wait and see).

Todd, you’d need to be wearing a glove to ruin it for us.

I promise to leave my gloves in Boise.

There’s a song in there somewhere, not sure if it’s Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, or Father John Misty…

I think a Father John Misty cover of a Willie song would probably work best.