TN: Eitelsbacher Kronenberg Auslese '76..(short/boring)

Had this from the cellar w/ Bill&Jane Sat night:

1. Eitelsbacher Karthauser Hofberg Riesling Kronenberg Auslese (A.P.Nr. 3 561 303/41/77; 10%) WernerTyrell 1976:
    Med.gold color; very sight Mosel valve oil/petrol some slatey/stony fragrant R/floral complex nose; off-dry tangy/metallic slatey/Mosel light petrol/Mosel valve oil rather R/floral complex flavor; very long/lingering off-dry tart/tangy complex finish; not a lot of botrytis evident and surprisingly fresh & youthful.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This wine delivered below my expectations. I was expecting a ton of botrytis and Mosel valve oil and some of that oldGerman oxidation that make these wines such glorious old-bones. It was somewhat on the quiet side and not the intensity I was expecting. Maybe a wine that just going to fade quietly away into the sunset w/o a whimper.
    Tom

The '71s had plenty of botrytis and acidity whereas the '76s were just very ripe.

My recollection were the '71’s had plenty of botrytis and acidity, both. The '75’s had plenty of ripeness but not
much botrytis. And the '76 had plenty of botrytis and ripeness, but not the acidity of the '71’s. Many of the '76’s
were downgraded a Pradikat by many producers. Only so much Auslese you can sell.
But my recollect may be marred by the ravages of old age…something you don’t have to worry about, Mel. [snort.gif]
Tom

It seems to me that the slide in sales of German wines began in the mid 70s…Whereas the '71s sold like hot cakes, nobody cared about the 75s or 76s…Everyone was getting into Italian and California wines then.