What bottle of wine would you bring?

What bottle(s) of wine would you bring if you were going to order all of the following dishes from this menu?

ANTIPASTI

AGRUMI
Citrus, fennel, olive, mint & pistachio

CICORIA
Honey dates, bagna cauda, capers, pine nuts & pecorino

POLPETTE DELLA MAESTRA ALESSANDRA
Pork meatballs, salsa verde & parmigiano reggiano

LE PASTE DEL NORD

PAPPARDELLE
Ragu Bolognese
“Vecchia Scuola”, parmigiano reggiano 48 mo.

LE PASTE DEL MEZZOGIORNO

CAPUNTI
Sausage sugo, broccoli di cicco, peperoncino & pecorino

GNOCCHETTI RIPOSO
Oxtail ragu napoletana, mozzarella

LE PASTE DEL CENTRO

RIGATONI ALL ‘AMATRICIANA’

MEZZEMANICHE ALLA GRICIA

LE PASTE DELLE ISOLE

STRASCINATI DI FARINA NERA ALLA PUTTANESCA
Scottadita di agnello, salsicce & costatine di manzo

CONTORNI

FINOCCHIO ALLA PARMIGIANA
Fennel, parmigiano reggiano

BROCCOLI
Aglio, olio e peperoncino

What bottle would you bring and why?
(Don’t worry about what I’d like, I am more curious what you’d choose, if you were doing BYO)

[EDITED to add possibility of brining more than one bottle, because that’s a lotta food and people]

Well for a start it would have to be a Magnum.

True!

How many ppl? I’d probably bring at least 3 bottles for that;

I’d personally bring champagne, a nebbiolo-based wine (personally I’d bring arpepe Sassella but you could do a Barbaresco, Barolo, or even a langhe neb) and a Sangiovese based wipe, like a Barbi Brunello with a little bottle age or a CCR with a little age.

3L Ridge Geyserville 2005, 300 bucks on Wine Searcher.

Thanks Michael! I like to order a bottle at the restaurant if we bring a couple, so two is probably my BYO limit plus one off the list. Right now 6 of us are going, though one couple may drop out.

That’d be awesome!! Two issues:

1. If I recall correctly, the resto doesn’t allow bottles that large (though I am sure I could talk to management)

2. It shows as $468 on Wine Searcher for me. You must have a Groupon.

:slight_smile:

The Marguet is nice on their list and probably won’t break the bank. There’s also an arpepe Sassella on the list.

What does corkage cost at Felix?

$35 if I recall correctly

Based on the menu, I am assuming that this restaurant has a pretty extensive Italian wine list. I would not stray from Italian wines in this case. In addition, given the diversity of Italian wines, you can probably find some nice expressive Sicilian or Southern Italian wines on the list that will not break the bank.

Thus, I would probably bring one special bottle from one of the big wine regions (e.g. piedmont, tuscany) and order the rest off the list.

You must like pasta…

Probably a Barbera with all those, as good acidity should be essential, and it needs a certain flexibility to handle the different pasta dishes.

The meat dishes & veg gives the chance for something more substantial / structured. Plenty of choice, so lean towards your own preferences for a meat-loving red.

With so many rich meat based dishes like the Bolognese, I would want something with plenty of acidity to clean the palate.

So yes, Barbera could work very well. Walter Massa’s Monleale is standout in my opinion.

if it was me personally I’d also drink something orange from a producer such as Gravner, Radikon or La Castellada. These wines are so versatile with meat and vegetables, they are really lively in the mouth and I find particularly good with pasta and pork.

Obviously the tannins help too!

I realise I’m probably going to be regarded as a weirdo for suggesting the above!

How about a Ligurian white and a Corsican red? I feel this menu has “rustic” written all over it and think these wines would go well with a country menu.
Of course, if the restaurant had an Emidio Pepe wine on tap, I might go with that, or a Ciro red for a cheaper alternative.

Dang, I am trying to link…

https://www.statelineliquors.com/products2/?g=WINE&t=ZINFANDEL&d=CALIFORNIA&page=5

3L - RIDGE GEYSERVILLE
Item #: 08505 Unit Price $299.99 x 1 = $299.99

Fourth wine from the bottom.

I think a mature zin would rock that menu!

Hope you have a great time!

Wine Searcher also has a 1991 Ridge Geyserville magnum for 50 bucks at the Spectrum Auction. many times, those wines go out the door for the price of one bid.

Old Ridge zins have never let me down. I’ve never even had a corked bottle!

A Valentini Trebbiano (say 2007 but the latest release would do) and a Pepe Montepulciano (2003 or older ideally, and I’d go for a warmer year - 03, 01, 97 etc).

I don’t know if this is kind of out of left field, but how about a 10-year oldish Priorat? The higher perceived acid on the PnP might go well with the acid heavy and herbal antipasti. And as the wine opens up and fills out with some air (please no thread drift on how this is not a real thing. Please?) it could go well with the main courses.

Hadn’t considered this, Jerome. Interesting angle! My concern would be, of course, that it’s too big and juicy for the food. Any Priorats in particular come to mind?

The 06 nit de nin I had was the one that came to mind. Was not as big and juicy as I thought most priorats were. Perhaps it was a vintage thing, or that particular producer.
I was also thinking along the lines of a young Brunello even perhaps. Something from 2010? Not really ready for consumption, but the youth may work in your favor in this case.