TN: 2006 Carlisle Syrah Pelkan Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley)

• 2006 Carlisle Syrah Pelkan Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley (7/23/2017)
    One hour decant. Paired with lamb roasted in the Big Green Egg. Pure and smooth with no rocky edges. Funk on the nose at decant but it blew off and the nose morphs into violet flowers. If I wanted to be overly critical, I would say that the wine is a bit monolithic. If I wanted to be truthful, I would say purity of fruit. The fruit is predominantly berries - raspberries and blackberries - with a bit of cherry and blueberry I do not get syrah pepper, which I like, but that could simply be a function of age. Unfortunately, this is my last bottle, but I would like to taste this again in 5-7 years to see what it develops with some more age, because this is still a baby with primary flavors and no components of ageā€¦ (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Jay. How long a decant?

Also curious, how did it compare when sipping without the food to eating as you drank?