last month's visit to Elio Grasso

tasted the new releases, etc.

"ve been visiting this estate for many years, tasting their wines for even more than that, and yet it’s only in the most recent years that I’ve come to know the family – deeply passionate winegrowers, and warm, caring people, as well.

My most recent visit, on 9 June, 2017, was toward the end of my latest three month tour of Italia, which coincidentally, began with three weeks in Piemonte. From there I trekked south to Apulia, visited a dozen regions in between, and then it was back to Piemonte, to finish my final three weeks in Langhe; an opportunity to meet with many of my favorite winegrowers at their homes/cellars, outside of the chaos of wine fairs, etc. It was during this period that I met Elio, he just having finished some work in the vineyards, I just having finished a lovely visit with Marina and Roberto.

As Roberto prepared some wines I had purchased, I walked over to introduce myself to Elio: in an instant I was reminded of what Francesca Vaira had uttered to me years ago, “the eyes are the window into the soul”. If Elio’s eyes had a message for me, that message was confirmed by a smile that was equally as energetic and bright as his eyes. As I shook Elio’s hand, words pretty much failed me, though I recall being able to utter “I’m glad to know you, sir”, though I’m not sure the words ever transferred from my brain to my mouth. I was in front of a living legend, a man whose work I’d been enjoying for half of my life."

details on my blog The newly released wines of Elio Grasso – ItalianWine.blog

thanks for looking [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Thanks for the notes and reflections.

Great pics too. The Estate provides some of my favorites views of Piemonte.

Thanks for the write-up. Grasso has become a bit of a punching bag here of late, so it’s nice to see some positive feedback. I picked up a few of the Gavarini. Nice folks and wines.

Tim, great notes and photos. Thanks.

A lot of love for Elio Grasso here: Elio Grasso: Have They Moved Up The Quality Hierarchy? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Nice write up.

The past debates was not about the quality of the fruit but about the Barriques vs Botte.

We had a terrific visit last week to Elio Grasso. It’s a stunning winery in a beautiful spot. One of the highlight of our trip. Our hostess used 4 different glasses for the tasting. They poured the 17’s and 15 riserva. It was great to follow them side by side. I wish we could have bought some wines but nothing to sell and it was no charge for the tasting which was very surprising. I can see why AG loved the 17’s.

2021 Elio Grasso Educato Chardonnay- clean, crisp and bright with nice roundness to the citrus and tropical fruit flavor. Would happily drink on a summer day and the acidity would make it a nice dinner wine as well

2021 Gavarini Nebbiolo- bright cherry with a distinct lightness. Very pretty wine.

2017 Elio Grasso Gavarini Chiniera- this needed a bit of time in glass to really emerge but once it did it really wowed me. Bright red fruit with spice and slight orange peel with such fine tannin and energy. Once it woke up it was such a great contrast to the darker more powerful Case Mate. So great to follow them side by side.

2017 Elio Grasso Case Mate- I’ve had more vintages of Case Mate and was more familiar with it before this visit. Dark with black cherry and mineral this immediately said I am special so pay attention. While somewhat firm there is a richness and depth that was really impressive. Tannins give plenty of weight but again very fine and don’t get in the way. At first the clear favorite but over time this stayed consistent in glass while the Chiniera really developed and was a fantastic contrast. Loved them both.

2015 Elio Grasso Riserva Runcot- powerful and shy this really needed coaxing to start to peek out and show its beauty. Red tones of fruit and some tones of spice. This didn’t budge too much in glass. It was our last wine tasted so would have liked to followed it longer. Special wine that will need a good bit of time. Tough comparison right now against the 17’s that we’re so expressive. The oak should integrate nicely though and this should be excellent in time.

btw, I asked about barrels vs Cask and was told the Runcot is the only one aged in barrique.

1 Like

Easily my favorite producer, we have imported these direct since the early 2000s, so had easy access to them wholesale and have always loved Gavarini Nebbiolo, Dolcetto dei Grassi, Gavarini Chiniera, and Casa Mate with a slight preference for Chiniera of the two Barolo’s. Have never had a mature Runcot, and I don’t get it regularly, so no form opinion on it.

1 Like

Since I couldn’t find a note on the 2011 Chiniera.

2011 Elio Grasso Chiniera - Pnp and followed over 3 hours the 2011 is in fine shape. Super floral red nose and ripe cherry fruit upon tasting this is in a nice place right now. It had solid depth and fine tannin that occasionally popped. With time additional floral and mint notes appear and the wine stayed steady for about 3 hours as we followed it through dinner. This is really very good. Not quite the depth and appeal of the 17 but a very good wine. A nice find last year at retail and I purchased a few more. I expect these to drink nicely for quite awhile.

you can still find these out in the wild…

1 Like

Yeah, that 2011 has been in a good place for a few years now. Nice, early drinking vintage. I’m glad to have a few, being wary of where those ones out in the wild have been all these years.

One of the nicest winery visits we’ve ever had. I still remember how crazy it was that the GPS (back then it was some kind of rented TomTom device) told us to turn right now, and right was an unmarked little gravel path through a lush thicket of trees, and we’re like “this can’t be it, can it?”

I also always remember the big dog house they had made out of some medium sized wine cask.

Lovely people, place, wines. I’m glad they’re still taking visitors, I’ve been hearing that is getting less common.

2 Likes