Domaine Arlaud

After a visit to the domaine this summer and tasting many of their vintage 2016 directly from barrel I would like to know more about this domaine.

Any knowledge about their recent vintages and speculation on their trajectory would be appreciated.

Jo

Their Morey-Saint-Denis Les Ruchots is year in and out one of my favorite wines. Cyprien Arlaud is doing a great job with the winery

I’ve only had the Roncevie, but the '12 really got me interested. A very charming and fruity Bourgogne Rouge with impressive concentration for its level. Recently bought the '13 and '14 of which the latter was slightly underwhelming the other day. Displayed very pretty aromatics but lacked a bit of stuffing compared to how the 2012 showed around the same age. They’re still absolutely on our want-to-visit list for our next trip to Bourgogne!

They have 4 Grand Cru properties and a wealth of very good 1ers across a few villages. When I met Cyprien he told me his “grandfather had married well.” Appropo to nothing Cyprien’s father is a bull of a man with hands the size of dinner plates.

I visited Domaine Arlaud a few years ago, was impressed, and have flowed their wines ever since. I don’t know about beforehand but I do know that Cyprien Arlaud is a talented winemaker. His Combottes, Charmes (and particularly) his Bonnes Mares are very good. I’ve tried '12s to '14s, and preferred the '14s, the 2014 Bonnes Mares was one of the best wines I tasted on the trip. I think Arlaud is a house on the rise, still priced pretty well for its quality.

It is on an upward trajectory with Cyprien Arlaud at the helm. The Combottes is always the value play to me and delicious! The 14s are fabulous. As Howard states, it is priced well for now.

One of the to half-dozen domaines I visited to taste 2015s…

It’s been a few years since I had the wines. My outdated opinion was that the Roncevie was good value, but the upper-tier wines lacked anything to distinguish them from their peers. If quality at them higher levels in on the upswing, I will have to revisit.

oops - top half dozen - damn new varifocal specs! :slight_smile: