Repairing warped Govino glasses.

Govino glasses in the dishwasher - the aftermath.

We had some friends over for dinner last weekend and five Govino glasses were inadvertently placed in the dishwasher. At our previous house this would have been fine, st this house, not so much. As I pulled them from the dishwasher the next morning I figured I would be buying new glasses, then I decided to try to un-warp them. I thought of using my wife’s hairdryer, a paint gun, a torch (at a distance of course), putting them back in the washer and taking them out immediately to shape them and boiling water. Heating the water to just shy of a boil is the key!

While they are not perfect, and one has a lopsided bottom now, they are pretty darn good. The first one was in the worst shape before I started.

the video link on Photobucket is not working so I removed it, if anyone has a suggestion to get it to work, please let me know.

Since I have still not been able to load the video, I will describe it. I put the govinos in the sink and poured almost boiling water in. After 30 seconds they start to soften and the weight of the water pushes them almost back to their natural shape. I used two knives to help them along the way. I learned that I should put them in a flat bottomed container like a casserole dish since the bottom of the sink is not level. Make sure the cups are not touching because they will melt together, though they can be pulled apart.

just replace them. cheap enough. if you want to send me the image I can post it for you. via email.

That’s cool.

I’ve got some goofy thick red acrylic goblets that my wife loves for her sangria.

Of course they are not dishwasher safe and have now gotten warped in strange ways.

Yet, she picks those over the nice straight ones, when pouring her own.

It adds a kind of Salvador Dali like experience looking at them on the table…

I know they are cheap but it seemed like a waste to just toss them without trying. In all likelihood, our friends kids will get to use these since they are still a little out of round and I will pick another box for the adults. And to be honest, I really just wanted to see if I could straighten them out a bit.

Thanks for offering to host the video, Tim Heaton also offered and I have emailed it to him. unfortunately I did not think to video the cup that was warped the most.

I understand not wanting to throw them out.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KHHTfB2/0/180ee0f9/640/i-KHHTfB2-640.mp4 repair video

What a cheapskate.
(I mean it as a compliment) [cheers.gif]

It is the engineer in me, and allows me to buy more wine. At $12 a four pack, that equates to a glass of the Rivers Marie Napa Cab I bought this week.

I love your can-do approach!

If I had tried that, it would have been accompanied by every way of dropping the F-bomb ever known because I would have found a way to burn myself.

[cheers.gif]

I like it. I think it’s the MacGyver in us all.

Once put an iron and some steam to a leather card case that was no longer holding cards snugly. It was good as new.

Thanks for the video!
[cheers.gif]