Another rising star in Alto Piemonte, Gilberto Boniperti

Had a chance to taste at the TasteAltoPiemonte event in Novara. Some exciting stuff here; crazy values, for sure. Nebbiolo, Vespolina, Barbera, and, thankfully, a lovely rosato.

Another project with Cristiano Garella as consultant, iirc.

"This is a really small winery, but they’re producing some big results. I have to ask myself, is the quality so good because there’s just 3Ha to farm (i.e. because it’s possible to give greater attention to the vines/land than if there were, say 20Ha), or, what might be possible if there were 6Ha, and the (additional) vines were capable of even more complexity? By that logic, I wonder what my experience would have been like if I’d sat down with each of these wines, able to take my time and enjoy them with a meal, too?

Either way, what this producer is doing today is worth taking note of, the wines well worth seeking out; as with many in the area, the price is far below the quality delivered.

If I recall correctly, Cristian Garella is consulting winemaker here; some good, additional, information can be found HERE, on the company website http://www.bonipertivignaioli.com/ita/index.php

a link to my blog Az. Agr. Gilberto Boniperti – another rising star in Alto Piemonte – ItalianWine.blog

thanks for looking

Did you get any time to walk around Novara Tim?
I really liked the place, a very easy city to stroll around and a relaxed but classy feel.

I did not, Ian. Unfortunately, parking was compounded by the fact that the weather was perfect AND a market day - the market being a block from the Castle, sigh. I had to be at an appointment after the trade time had expired, so did not get to wander.

Hi Tim
That’s a shame - maybe next time.
Am I right in understanding that the event was back in April? What did you think of it & would you recommend it. We’ve been the the Ghemme festival, which is great fun, but as close as the Italians get to a ‘piss-up’. All very well-behaved still, but a little wobbly on their pins. That’s in early May, but if this is more of an event to taste wine & food, then I’d be keen to give it a try.

regards
Ian