French Wine Help

I live in California and most of the wines in my small collection are from CA. I bought my first French wines (A red and a white) from Burgundy. I paid about $50 each at my local wine shop and enjoyed them very much. I know the famous chateau are rediculiously expensive but can anyone recommend some less expensive French wines that really capture what French wine is all about?

The Loire is your friend, if you can live with varying levels of Brett (in the reds). I’d suggest trying different areas in the Loire to see what floats your boat - Chinon, Borgueil, Muscadet, Vouvray, etc. Lots of good producers, but some of the standard bearers that won’t break your budget - Baudry, Olga Raffault, Boulay, Breton, Chidaine, Guion, Pepiere, Plouzeau & Joguet.

Other areas worth pursuing - Beaujolais, Bourgogne, Chablis.

Do you know what, exactly, those two wines were, W e $ l e y?

It would also help to know what California wines you’ve been liking…I’d suggest you seek out wines where Michel Rolland is the consulting enologist to see if you like that “style” of French wine. It would give you a good base to operate from moving forward. Equally I’d suggest that you snap up a few wines that were imported by Kermit Lynch to see what you think about those. All in all, it’s about finding an “in” where the wines call to you. With this little info it’s a little like stabbing in the dark. We might hit something…but the aim will be much better if you can shed a little more light on what you already like.

Evidently you and I share pretty damn identical palates, as I own everything you just posted in large quantities!

I’m not so sure that I would only recommend Loire to a budding Frenchman, however. The whites are delish, but the reds, as wonderful as they are, take some time to appreciate, IMHO. Guion, for example, is tough love for a newbie.

Personally, the OP having a California base of wine knowledge, should try a range of French reds, including Bordeaux (modern and classic in style) and Southern Rhones, the latter of which are generally cheap, easy to enjoy and quite gulpable.

The 2014 vintage for Bordeaux is a great entry-point, lots of values there. In the $20-$50 price point range that are worth trying:

2014 Cantemerle - classic but approachable

2014 Senejac

2014 Capbern - modern, good value

2012/2014 Les Carmes Haut Brion - a once classic estate turning modern but still fresh given the near-50% cab franc.

Back to Scott’s recos, I think Baudry makes the most consistent and generally cleanest cab franc in Loire. His 2014 line-up is outstanding across the board, from the $16 base cuvée to the $40 top cuvees, the latter being collectible. Just so happens, I popped the very tasty 2014 Baudry Les Granges with a grilled chicken dinner last night. Wonderful pairing.

For classic Beaujolais, grab some Thivin. If you liked burgs, chances are you will like this. The 2014 vintage is classic and the 2015 is a sexy thing, more ripe but still in check.

Another reason to go ride the Classics next year!

Back to OP, I presumed that as he bought and enjoyed Burgundy and noted he wanted “some less expensive wines that really capture what French wine is all about”, that he was not looking for anything remotely like CA or Rolland wines. But you raise a fair point that I tried to address with my comment about Brett, but perhaps did not emphasize enough.

Wesley, definitely explore the Loire if Cab Franc, Chenin Blanc and Sauvignon Blanc are in your wheelhouse, but I would taste widely before stocking up on any producer. Robert’s recommendation of Baudry Cab Franc is a good starting point as they do tend to be cleaner. Whereas Olga Raffault and Guion are producers to graduate to if you find you like Loire Cab Franc, which is a different animal than CA or other US Cab Franc. Both tend to be brettier, esp Guion. Have fun exploring.

There is not THE FRENCH WINE … there are many many different French wines … from North to South, East and West …

At least I would recommend something (in red) close to maturity … doesn´t make much sense to taste a (French) wine far too young … not knowing if that´s all about it …

Hard to suggest anything without knowing what´s available … but a Cotes-du-Rhone from a good producer with some age on it wouldn´t be a bad choice …

Good Morning Everyone - Well I pulled out the French wine bottles and this is what I had:

Puligny-Montrachet 2012 Ropiteau - White

Domaine des Perdrix 2008 Vosne-Romanee

Does that help anyone?

1. What’s the nearest big-ish city to you [where you could drive to purchase wine]?

2. Are you willing to purchase mail-order from stores in other parts of California? [Although, even there, heat damage during shipping will be a big problem from now until maybe October.]

My thought is to not make this too complicated. There is an abundance of very nice, well balanced French wines from a variety of appellations at good prices. Burgundy (the love of my life, winewise) has gotten pricey, even at the Bourgogne level, but even there, some values can be found. Instead of offering specific producers (agree with those already suggested), I recommend you browse a wine shop you like, look for something in the neighborhood of a price point you’re willing to pay, and explore. You’ll most like be pleased and part of the fun will be in trying something new and previously unexperienced.

If you’re in California, take a look at either K&L or Winex’s web site. They are superb for their depth & breadth of French wines.

It’s disturbingly easy in particular to part with money on K&L’s…

I drink mostly CA wine but have dabbled in french wine. CDR and Languedoc have been my best ones.

This is good advice. There are other good shops as well, many, many of them in fact, but K&L has always been very helpful, offers good value, etc.

Here’s my $.02. Red Burgundy value is tough. Not impossible, just difficult. However, if you like a very dry style of chardonnay with loads of mineral character Chablis is awesome and offers great value. If you can find some '14s still out there buy them. '15s are not bad, just in a somewhat riper and rounder style more reminiscent IMO of the Cote d’Or than really speaking of Chablis. Better producers will still make very good wine. Not sure about the upcoming '16s except that I believe the production will be down due to hail and frost, with '17 more of the same.

For red values in French wine, consider some petite Chateau Bordeaux from the very good '14 vintage, which will also offer some very good value. I suggest Lanessan, Senejac, La Vieille Cure, and well, just search here for value bordeaux threads, there are plenty. However, these will take some time, so you may also want to look for some from '09 and '10, or even '01 and '04.

Northern Rhone syrah can be pricey, but look to Crozes Hermitage and St. Joseph for better values, as well as some better producers’ lesser wines, often labeled as Collines Rhoadannienes or sometimes just VdP (vin de pays de France).

In my opinion a solid alternative to Burgundy, while staying in France, is Beaujolais. I recommend Thivin’s Cote du Brouilly, Clos de Roilette, Jean-Paul Brun’s Terre Dorees, Lapierre, Foillard, and again, look to threads here for more names.

I also love the Loire and echo what those above have said about that region. Loads of value to be found from the Loire.

I took a different approach and moved to France :smiley:

Northern Rhone syrah can be pricey, but look to Crozes Hermitage and St. Joseph for better values
This is brilliant. Crozes Hermitage is my go-to here; it’s materially cheaper that CdP and Hermitage, but you can find some great bargains, although some can be harder to find (Cornas, etc.)

The Loire is your friend
I’ve had a blast drinking my way through Vouvrays and Saumur Champigny (largely Cab Franc). Again, think baller on a budget.

You can go down Alice in Wonderland’s hole and have some amazing wines in Bordeaux, Burgundy, etc. but you’ll likely pay more. If you’re into GSM or any of the components, it’s really hard to beat the Rhone Valley on the red (or white) side… Gigondas, Vacqueyras, St. Joseph, Cote Rotie etc. are all right in that bullseye. To be clear - very simplistic, stereotypical view, but it’s been serving me well over here :smiley:

Look around for a Domaine des Tours VDP Vaucluse from Rayas. It is about $30. Light color, light weight, bursting with flavor. The 2010 is wonderful. And I second the K & L suggestions. And they have it. 2010 Chateau des Tours "Vaucluse" Rouge Vin de Pays - SKU 1310688