90 degrees and very humid. red?

i know it’s rose season, and i really like a lot of them. all kinds of whites too, crispy and cold.
but some perversity in me wants a big red when it gets like this, and i’m never sure what to do.
do i chill it a bit more than usual and crank the a/c?
just grab a light red that takes well to a chill?

any and all opinions welcome [cheers.gif]

I live in Texas and I just can’t drink reds in the summer. Actually it’s kind of exciting to anticipate fall and what’s the first one I’ll open. Absence makes the heart grow fonder…I just made that up.

a/c works fine; I don’t hesitate to drink a red. But this is champagne season. Every season is champagne season.

1. Buy 1.5L Yellowtail Shiraz
  2. Place in sun
  3. Wait 3 hours
  4. Open it and leave in sun another hour to breathe.
  5. Pour into warmed coffee mug
  6. Add spoonful of Smuckers jam
  7. Eat/Drink as you jog on the beach
  8. Celebrate being a rebel by puking in garbage can by public restrooms

Is this how you are managing the heat in LA Barry?

Light reds of course make sense, and do read the current rosé thread for ideas there.

However I could imagine some (overly) big-fruited / lower acidity reds that probably bring them more appeal to me with a slight chill - thinking of those reds that if they get warm become too rich/jammy. A red of big impact and less subtlety should still offer appeal when lightly chilled.

Lambrusco.

+1 from the humid swamp that is ATL.

2FM3Em7FIOc

Gamay
Beaujolais
My aberration . . .

Start a pinot noir at ‘refrigerator temp.’

Pour, appreciate the coolness as you cup the bowl of the stem.

Sip away and enjoy the array of changes it will exhibit as it ranges up to whatever crazy room temperature is.

Starting a red wine below cellar temp is fun on a hot day!

Cheers!

I just put into fridge, chill, put into glass and enjoy as it slowly warms up. Works perfectly.

Surprisingly the Aglianico del Vulture that I opened tonight is working fine. The acidity seems to carry the wine even in this weather.

Are you drinking outside? If not, it seems like the indoor temperature and humidity where you’re drinking are what would be what matters.

yeah i get it, but something about the heat makes me anticipate it even more.
ie can’t wait
opened a sqn 5 shooter grenache a few weeks ago but it was relatively cool at 80 degrees or so.
tomorrow i’m thinking realm with a bbq steak, and possibly sweating while i do it.

Air conditioning? Wusses.
Just popped a Gattinara the other day, made me think of Fall… [dance2.gif]

We sit on the screened in porch a lot during the summer and it is hot and humid here in South Carolina. I will open a big red on the weekend and turn on the ceiling fan and enjoy the heck out of it. I will keep the bottle in the house between pours to keep the bottle cooler, and I generally pour smaller pours.

If it is in the middle of the day, I am going with beer, white or rose thought.

Once the sun goes down and day turns to night, I’m all in on domestic syrah or zin in the summer months.

+1 on Beaujolais for us but then we have no humidity here as it is usually under 10%. Champagne is great all summer for us as well.

I don’t mind having some Bojo, Spanish Garnacha, or Chinon in the summer slightly chilled.