TN: Famiglia Pasqua Passimento Veneto '10..(short/boring)

Tried last night as a mystery wine:

1. Famiglia Pasqua IGT: Passimento Veneto Vino Passito Secco (14%) Pasqua/Verona 2010: Very dark color; very intense grapey/boysenberry/overripe/late hrvsty bit alcoholic slight chocolaty/earthy nose; very soft/fat/porky intense grapey/late hrvsty/pruney/chocolaty/boysenberry light dusty/earthy bit coarse/rustic flavor w/ light ripe tannins; very long very strong grapey/chocolaty/boysenberry/Amarone/overripe/late hrvsty some alcoholic finish w/ some ripe tannins; pretty much like most Amarones. $14.00 (KK)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. One blogger reports:

The Appassimento Technique

The awesome thing about these wines is they’re made by the “appassimento technique”. This technique is > unique > to Pasqua wines. In this process, the grapes are hand harvested and left to dry in wooden trays for varying amounts of time (depending on the grape). This allows a certain percentage of the moisture to leave the grapes which gives them a higher concentration of sugar.

Uhhhh…yeah…sure…whatever you say.

1. This is a FredFranzia import…so an industrial-scale wine. What’s interesting is that Pasqua has trademarked the name “Passimento”, though the wine is made by the standard appassimento technique of drying the grapes on wooden racks to dehydrate them.
    Tom

How to give blogging a bad name, though is it possible that this is a ‘paid’ assertion?

Wasn’t it Masi who tried (and failed) to trademark ‘ripasso’.

Pasqua are indeed industrial. That trademarking puts them in the ranks of Gallo. Very much an abuse of the trademarking process IMO, just as with Gallo’s aggressive challenge to the Chianti Consorzio’s black cockerel.

Well, this is from the “About” page for that blog:

I really do love wine but, I’ll be honest, I don’t know that much about it.

Much like far too many “wine bloggers” out there.