TN: 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Elatis Vino da Tavola (Italy, Piedmont, Vino da Tavola)

• 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Elatis Vino da Tavola - Italy, Piedmont, Vino da Tavola (7/19/2017)
    A bright and beautifully fresh nose. Crunchy fruit, subtle florals, cooler herbs, peppercorn, and grapefruit pith on the nose. This is fresh and clean, with great cut and precision. There is almost a sense of drinking water, it is so easy to drink. On the palate, fresh fruits, strawberry and red currants, with terrific acidic cut, that is for me in perfect balance, all with a herbal lift and a savory slant. The Pelaverga really adds to this with some peppercorn notes that add quirky complexity. This would be amazing with spicy charcuterie. This is a great vintage for Elatis. Fresh, complicated, yet light on its feet and incredibly refreshing. Wonderful rose, and as wonderful as the '13 was, I think this may have the upper hand. This is a wine where numbers fail. True, it is not a grand vin, but I can tell you on a hot Arizona day this is a situational 98 point wine, more if I had some charcuterie. One of my favorite two rose’s of Summer 2017. Bravo Fabio!

Posted from CellarTracker

Todd, not sure I can find this wine locally, but if the Rubentis Txakolina Rose is in the AZ market it, try it out and let me know what you think; and I’m not much of a rose junky (unless you tempt me with a Cotat Sancerre Rose and tell me you got on a close-out)

Hey Henry,

I have a few bottles of that in the fridge as well. I like the pettilant aspect of it, and it is in the AZ market, the one called Los Angeles. Looking forward to October.

I am relatively new to Burlotto. However I was really impressed by what Fabio is doing, very precise, pure and fresh. Unfortunately the price of Monvigliero jumped 2 to 3X for the 12 and 13.

Posted from CellarTracker

Kevin,

Thanks for posting. I felt that until this year Fabio and Alex Sanchez were the two most underheralded (I don’t want to say unheralded) producers in Barolo for my palate. I am selfishly sad, as his Barolos were annual case buys for me until 2013, and this year it has been quite difficult to source. I am very happy for Fabio. It could not happen to a more deserving, talented, great guy.

Had two Pelavergas this week. Seriously under appreciated grape.
Tom

A lot of the 2001 Monvigliero hammered for ~$165 / bottle at the HDH auction this week, which is $200 per bottle with the buyer’s vig. Happy for Fabio, but gone are the days when Burlotto was a value gem in Piemonte.