TN: 2015 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Bien Nacido Vineyard

• 2015 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Bien Nacido Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (7/19/2017)
    My third time at this and it’s just pure awesome; it’s a electrically charged fresh and vibrant Pinot that shows so much that it’s price point is blown away in a very big way. The color is see-through strawberry. Nose is creamy red raspberries, strawberries, sassafras, boysenberries and more; it sits above the glass opening like royalty sitting at a joust. coaxing bring even more depth and fragrance out. This needs 30 minutes to truly show what it’s got. Palate is macerated red berries, violets and spring flowers with a last moment entry of near ripe strawberries. Balance is super-deft and finish crazy long. Acidity spot-on drop dead perfect. This wine has incredible structure, mouth-feel and presence, It is a wine to serve special guests and loving family. It is a real special Pinot Noir from a special part of this big and beautiful world. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great to hear this Mike. Great wine maker (Ed Kurtzman) plus great source (Bien Nacido) = yum. So I’m not surprised!

Boy this is in a beautiful spot. Gorgeous nose of dark earth, raspberry fruit, sandalwood, underbrush and white pepper. Definitely on the sweeter sassafras end on the palate, but lovely balancing acidity and very similar accent notes to the nose. Punches way above its price point!

My favorite of the excellent Sandler pinot lineup. I don’t know how Ed keeps the prices that low for wines from these top vineyards.

Chris how would you rate the body on this wine?

Hey Ken. You mean the ripe to lean spectrum? I haven’t had the 2015, but I think this wine, and Sandler pinots in general, are in a medium style for California. Ripe and smooth, but not sweet or heavy. Maybe stylistically like Scherrer, Gary Farrell, Ampelos, Swan, pre-2004 Dehlinger?

Kenny - I would say the wine is on the lighter bodied side for California. Still had ripe fruit, but translucent color and light on its feet.

Just had my sixth bottle and I am still amazed at its performance. Soft and silky with great balance and presence. Wow.