TN: 2014 Cameron Hughes Lot 575

• 2014 Cameron Hughes Lot 575 - USA, Washington (7/16/2017)
    Nose if dark berries, cedar and flowers. On the palate purple berries, chocolate, cassis, and slight green notes framed by oak. Medium weight, the tannins are fairly well integrated already. Very good QPR; should age/improve gracefully through 2020 and plateau for several years thereafter. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

In the early days of my wine journey, I was smitten with Cameron Hughes. But as my palate evolved I shied away for their wines as they tended to be bigger/riper/more alcoholic than I liked and guessing about origins didn’t excite me much. Color me pleasantly surprised when I was served Lot 575. Still bigger than what I usually drink, but no heat, with nice complexity and balance for the price. A perfect midweek wine with BBQ or to serve to guests who aren’t full-on wine geeks. If you see this at your local Costco, I’d strongly urge you to grab a few bottles.

Hi Corey - glad you enjoyed the wine…the producer feels same way you do and has made a point of making what they consider to be smaller scale but more balanced wines and they are successful at what they do.

Having said that, I wanted to point out that this wine is not and most likely won’t be available at Costco, only our website where its on sale for $13…vs the producer price of $30 its good deal. Same wine as they bottle.

Cheers!

Cameron

Thanks for chiming in – I’ll be grabbing some bottles because the QPR is ridiculous.

I also liked this, and bought a bunch. The producer knows what s/he is doing, in my opinion.

It’s been a sucky summer at my Costco and I’m not sure I’ve seen any CH wines there in recent months.

Hey Arv - yeah, for better or worse, we’re doing very little biz with them these days. best bet is CHWine.com

For what it’s worth the Costco that I go to in Chicago has had less offerings, but that bottles from that special Cabernet deal (cannot recall details but they were offered in a 6-bottle vertical) are on the shelves.

For those of you lucky enough to buy either lot 573 or lot 574 (shiner meritage Cam claims is from the same producer as their Reserve Program) you got a steal. I got 4 bottles of 573… its fabulous. I split a case among that and some cabs, now sold out…

Well I just ordered 6 bottles of the lot 575 and lot 607 for the florida house. This based upon the ratings and notes above.

Hope you like 'em.

I will let you know Cameron. I think the source is Col Solare…

I really like the Lot 575, chocolate and black cherries, stones… its a steal…

Lot 607 is a bit disappointing. Not as much as a fruit bomb as I was expecting. Its tight but the fruit is just not as prominent as I would like to see.

Let me take a bottle home tonight or over weekend and will give you my thoughts…been a while since I’ve tasted but my impression is similar to yours…its been relatively tight since going into bottle. I don’t know for sure but my impression was there lots of tight grain french oak on there so may take awhile for it to open up.

Alas, Lot 575 sold out