TN: 2013 Tercero Mourvèdre Rose

Who says rose doesn’t age :wink: . It is a beautiful wine with plenty of life left and is as fresh as it was the first time I had it a few years ago. Sadly my last bottle. Definitely a different style then Larry’s current rose, but extremely enjoyable. Well done sir!
IMG_2388.JPG

Tell us more! Details :slight_smile:

One of my favorite Roses, for sure.

I, too, would love to see your tasting notes! :slight_smile:

I can’t provide tasting notes, but can provide information about this bottling:

This was my first of 3 vintages using fruit from the Vogelzang Vineyard in Happy Canyon. The grapes were brought in about 21 brix, foot stomped and left on the skins for about an hour, then whole cluster pressed. The juice was settled in a cooled stainless tank for about 2 days, then barreled down and barrel fermented and aged in older French oak barrels for about 5 months prior to bottling.

I’ve changed things up a bit since that vintage in two ways:

Started last year, my fruit source changed because 1) the block I was getting fruit from was slowly dying of Eutypa and 2) I was ‘low man on the totem pole’ compared to others getting fruit from the same block so I was ‘dropped’ so others could get more fruit. Sucks but it happens . . .

In addition, starting in 2014, I now ferment the juice in stainless steel at cooler temperatures to hold onto the ‘crazy’ aromas that are released during fermentation.

Hope that provides a bit of info - and can’t wait to read the tasting notes as well.

Cheers!

Thanks for the insight, Larry! Always appreciated.

I’m not a big tasting notes guy, but I just drank the rest of it and here is what I get.

On the nose… red berry, watermelon, strawberry, and some spice

On the palate…it has the normal texture I get from Larry’s aged wines. I am a firm believer that Larry’s wines round out with 1-2 years of bottle age and this one is no different. I get the same fruits and herbs that I got on the nose. This is an outstanding example of Rose!

Thanks, Bryan!!

Unlikely pairing: finishing my bottle of 2016 (not 2013) Tercero Mourvedre Rose with a bowl of granola, farmstyle (very thick and tart) yogurt and tart wild cherries.

The rose is a perfect crisp complement to that tart/sweet balance. YUM.

I like Larry’s wines too much for them to last that long, but I believe you.

Nice. I had an unlikely pairing with Tercero Rose, too. Had it with eggs and avocado for Sunday breakfast. Spectacular.

Nice! Speaking of breakfast, I wonder if the Tercero Marsanne would play nicely with chicken and waffles?

You guys are killing me - but I’m loving the pairings with my Rose :slight_smile:

And I think the marsanne and chicken and waffles would be great - especially if the crusting on the chicken as a little heat and you don’t use much syrup!

Cheers.

Killing you how? lol.

Yeah, I figure some fried chicken is really nice with a touch of honey so the Marsanne is a nice stand-in for that aspect. But some spice in there would really help. Def no syrup.

Maybe Chicken 'n Waffles is on next year’s shelf talker. lol.