Quick TN's: 1988 PL, 1990 Gruaud, 1989 Beaucastel

This last weekend was the warmup to what will be a lot of fun wines opened this week. From memory:

1. 1988 Pichon Lalande. A wine that flies slightly under the radar (a lot of people obsess over the 1989/1990 vintages in Bordeaux), but the 1988 Pichon Lalande is a lovely, classically
    framed Pauillac. Quite aromatic, with lots of ripe fruit and earth/lead pencil. The taste follows the nose, with a medium weight mouthfeel. Still some significant but rounded tannins. A
    “wow plus” wine.

2. 1990 Gruaud Larose. A fun comparison with the 1988 PL, with noticeable bits of funkiness (but not overbearing) along with the fruit and earth. A slightly lighter midpalate, but more
    noticeable chunky tannins. A “wow” wine that could use more time.

3. 1989 Ch. Beaucastel CdP Rouge. As many people know, there has been a lot of bottle variation with this wine over the years. Some bottles have been “leakers;” others have shown a lot
    more funk/Brett than others. This was a bottle I bought on release and cellared, so it was in ideal shape. The color was a brownish red with quite a bit of bricking. Even at pop and pour, the
    aromatics soared from the glass, with plum, roasted nuts, and a bit of funk. The taste follows the nose, with excellent fruit/acid balance and a slightly feminine quality. If this bottle was an
    example of the best 89 Beaucastel’s, then it’s perfectly ready to drink (for my tastes) and doesn’t require any further cellaring. Another “wow plus” wine for sure.

Bruce

Thanks for posting. The '88 PL was one of two bottles that got me into wine. First time I ever smelled mushrooms from a glass of wine.

Thanks for the notes! Love Pichon Lalande. It was my entry wine into Pauillac.

Thanks for the notes. I recall drinking the '88, '89 and '90 Pichon Baron side by side a few years back and had the same reaction you had here. If not for the 89/90 vintages, we would be singing the praises of the '88 Pauillacs.

I never had these wines young and would be interested in any of the…er…um…“more experienced drinkers” contemporary impressions of the '88 vintage. What is the modern analog?

Ah love the 89 Beaucastel CdP, the bottle that good me hooked to wine! [cheers.gif]