TN: Saddleback Montepulciano '14...(short/boring)

Tried this wine at Molly&Lars when I was out there:

1. SaddlebackCllrs Montepulciano RussianRvrVlly/SonomaCnty (14.5%; Barrel Slctn) 2014: Very dark/black color; very intense boysenberry/plummy/grapey very black cherry cola slight licorice rather earthy/loamy light toasty/oak beautiful nose; soft huge fruit very plummy/black cherry cola/boysenberry some toasty/oak light earthy/loamy flavor w/ light soft/ripe tannins; very long/lingering very strong black cherry cola/plummy/boysenberry/ripe light earthy/loamy some toasty/oak slight licorice/pungent finish w/ some ripe tannins; doesn’t have the rough/rustic character of Italian Montepulciano but as fine an expression of Montepulciano as you can find.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Molly is winemaker at SequoiaGrove and Lars winemaker at Saddleback w/ Nils. Molly is my Susan’s cousin & we often stay w/ them when in the NapaVlly. This was a btl Lars brought home for me to try.
    Saddleback has some special wines, including Teroldego, that it makes just for its wine club members. This Montepulciano is its latest one. Lars has good relations w/ the vnyd manager at Gallo’s RRV vnyds and is able to get some of the Italian varieties they grow. Hopefully, they’ll be getting some of the Gallo Nebbiolo this Fall.
    Unti has been making Montepulciano for a number of yrs, which I’ve liked quite a lot. The Saddleback has enough oak (though wouldn’t call it over-oaked) that it reminds some of a Montepulciano made by a Cabernet producer. The Unti displays a bit more varietal character but I find this Saddleback much more impressive. I think it’ll probably age quite well over a 10-yr span.
    Tom