2010 PYCM St Aubin en Remilly

Really a great wine from PYCM in this vintage. Young, lots of acidity, roasted nuts, some tropical fruit and great finish. I had this over the course of two nights and it didn’t really seem to change much. This will go for several more years and, if this is an indication of the quality of PYCM wines in '10, I’m looking forward to the 1er crus and GCs and a few more of these.

10s were great there, no?

Love this wine too.

top to bottom. from bourgogne - monty. they owned the vintage!

Had a 2014 vintage of this in Beaune recently and it was absolutely delightful. Some might suggest it was still too young, but I and my group of friends found this to be utterly delicious there and then.

Anyone try the 2015 version yet?

Tasted the whole lineup at the domaine with Pierre-Yves in December. He was very pleased with the whole vintage. A few of the top 1er crus and GCs were outstanding - Meursault Genevrieres and Perrieres, Batard and Chevalier were some of my favorites. Burg hound also gave favorable notes to his 15s.

Thanks Jerry !!

shocked that you liked the Chevalier. What’s the price on that one?

Yes, tasted and reviewed them for Decanter. Happy to post the notes if they would be of interest.

PYC, along with Alex Moreau, to my mind made the best white Burgundies of the vintage. I thought the Bâtard even better than the Chevalier, speculating that the deeper soils helped in the drier year. But all the Saint Aubins are terrific, you can’t go wrong. I have opened the SA Le Banc and Bgn Blanc from my cellar out of curiosity and they convince me that I was not deceived when I tasted them from cask.

It’s clear that the quality of the fruit he gets from the many different appellations he works with varies, but the winemaking is consistently brilliant. Now he has a new cellar it will only get better.

I don’t know if it’s a contrarian position or not, but I actually thought PYC’s 11s as good as / better than his 10s. Like Louis-Michel Liger-Belair, he improves so much each vintage that vintage variation is essentially effaced by the rising tide.

I also thought the Batard was the better wine. Glad to hear your opinion of the 2011 vintage from PYCM. The 2011 Saint Aubin en Remilly was excellent and I have a Chevalier that I’d like to try soon. I would certainly be interested in your notes.

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Les Ancegnières
From 90-year-old vines just below Bâtard-Montrachet, this is an excellent village Chassagne, opening up with a bouquet of poached pear, noble reduction and smoke: on the palate, the wine is ample, concentrated and broad, with nice freshness and tension but broader shoulders than its Saint-Aubin siblings. 91/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Meursault Narvaux
Notes of ripe pear, hazlenut and oatmeal are the prelude to an attractive Meursault Narvaux with good concentration, freshness and minerality which only suffered by comparison with the stunning Chassagne Caillerets which preceded it.
White 91/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin La Pucelle
Notes of beeswax, ripe pear and noble reduction, subtly framed by new oak, introduce a vibrant wine with a lovely core of ripe acids and concentration and a persistent finish. Harvested on 1 September to retain freshness. 91/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Chatenière
A bouquet of confit lemon, honeysuckle and beeswax is the prelude to a glossy, textural wine with crisp acidity, a firm core and an impressively long finish. 92/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chenevottes
From 50-year-old vines, Pierre-Yves remarked that this wine was particularly slow to ferment, but it is already showing its considerable potential, with a bouquet of lemon and lemon confit, white flowers and struck match; on the palate, a glossy, textural attack is underpinned by a core of bright acidity and extract which persists through the subtly mineral finish. 93/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières
From Les Perrières Dessous (the lower part of this de facto grand cru), this wine opens with a reserved and typical bouquet of lemon oil, crushed stones and struck match. On the palate the wine has good freshness and concentration, but needs some time to come together and find its focuss, though of course, its elevage was by no means complete when it was tasted. 93/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
A 50:50 blend of fruit from Ladoix and fruit from Pernand, this is a classic Corton-Charlemagne, with a reserved bouquet of crushed rocks, lemon and white flowers which leads into a glossy, textural but tight-knit wine with a firm core of vibrant acidity and extract. 93/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières
A bouquet of green pear, confit citrus, white flowers and wheat toast leads into a wine of impressive cut and glossy concentration, with lovely textural elegance and a long, penetrating finish. In 2015, Pierre-Yves’ Genevrières seems to have the edge over his lovely Perrières. 94/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly
Aromas of crisp Anjou pear, green apple, lemon oil and crushed chalk lead into a deliciously glossy, textural wine underpinned by amazing energy and vibrancy that articulately represents its terroir. Top stuff, surpassing many 1er Crus in Puligny and Chassagne this year. From Domaine-owned vines. 94/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru
In 2015 the Chevalier is very close indeed to the level of the stunning Bâtard, with a classic bouquet of lemon oil and confit lemon, struck match and crushed limestone. On the palate the wine is tounge-tinglingly mineral and intense, with almost phenolic grip on the long finish. This is very fine indeed: as focussed and vertical as the Bâtard is broad and expansive. 96/100

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru
This is a magical Bâtard, from 90-year-old vines that clearly knew how to handle the warmth of the vintage. A bouquet of kaleidoscopic complexity reveals aromas of tangerine oil, pear, honeysuckle, candied citrus and an intriguing top-note of petrol, introducing a wine of incredible intensity, concentration and velouté texture which somehow remains unerringly weightless and precise. One of the white Burgundies of the vintage. 97/100

Thanks for posting, what vintage?

Great set of wines. PY’s Bâtard was my highest scoring white of the vintage. Ente, Moreau and Pierre Morey did especially well too. Really liked Leflaive’s wines from tank before bottling but with the premox issues there it’s so hard to know what’s going to happen after a few years in the cellar.

Ok thanks. I’m on the fence regarding 2015, the ones I’ve tasted have shown a saccharine sweetness and lack the energy and cut that I look for in WB. It’s a small sample so far (H Boillot, PYCM St Aubins and some JM Boillots.). I hope the wines were just awkward when I tried them.

I’m surprised to hear you say that about the PYCM '15s: the handful of bottles I’ve opened have been decidedly tensile. H Boillot’s are definitely more gourmand and rich, with quite a prominent framing of new oak - and if your tastes run to the leaner end of the spectrum I can definitely see the combination of producer and vintage being too much. JM Boillot I don’t follow.

Like 2005 whites, it’s a producer-by-producer vintage.

William Kelly

Thanks for the notes. I also thought the Genevrieres was a notch above the Perrieres so we are thinking along the same lines there as well. Now all we have to do is find the funds and connections to be able to get these wines.

Ain’t that the truth. I wasn’t offered any 2014 Perrieres and had a WineSearcher alert set for any Perrieres, at any price, and nothing ever came up.

Thanks Jerry. I’m glad you agree. When reviewing wines like these there is a great deal of what one might call cultural pressure to follow the received hierarchy, i.e. Chevalier ranks above Bâtard, Perrières above Genevrières. To my mind, too many writers succumb to it, giving scores which could be produced by algorithm. In reality, sites don’t always perform the same way every vintage; vine material in parcels is often of varying quality; and in a case like this, where we are talking about purchased grapes, farming quality can vary too.

As for finding the wines, that is not so hard to do in Burgundy. Happy to share some sources if you PM me, though if you are tasting with PY you likely already have plenty of options of your own.

If the grand crus are hard to come by, I would personally focus on the Saint Aubin 1er crus and the Chassagne Caillerets from domaine fruit, which I think match or surpass several of the more ardently pursued négoce wines.

Also: don’t miss the Bernard Moreau '15s. If you liked PY’s it’s hard to imagine you won’t love those.