TN: Two G.D.Vajra Langhe Nebbs '15...(short/boring)

At our recent NEB#7 gathering, DarrellCorti provided these two Langhe Nebbs as good examples of Nebbs that don’t fit the Barolo/Barbaresco paradigm:

1. G.D.Vajra Clare J.C. DOC: Langhe Nebbiolo (14%; 20% whole cluster) Barolo 2015: Pale garnet color; very
    fragrant/perfumed/very spicy light floeal/lilacs/strawberry/alpine strawberry slight earthy/dusty quite
    perfumed lovely nose; slight spritz near-dry very floral/spicy/strawberry almost Brachetto-like slight
    carbonic maceration/grapey slight spicy/whole-cluster very pretty flavor w/ light bright tannins; long
    strong alpine strawberries/floral/lilacs slight spritz slight off-dry finish / light bright/vibrant tannins;
    resembles Brachetto more than Nebbiolo; an absolutely pretty easy-drinking very pretty red. $27.00 (CB)

1. G.D.Vajra DOC: Langhe Nebbiolo (14%) 2015: Med.light color; very fragrant strong floral/lilacs/violets slight
    earthy/dusty perfumey Nebb nose; rather tart very floral/lilacs/violets/spicy slight earthy/dusty flavor w/
    light slightly bitey tannins; very long perfumey/violets/floral/Nebb/lilacs slight earthy/dusty finish w/ light
    crunchy tannins; speaks strongly of Nebb but a very attractive floral wine that’s fairly drinkable now. $32.00 (CB)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Vagra Clare: This is a new wine for Vajara. The intent was to make a wine like they used to make Barolo back in
    the old days, back in the 17’th-18’th century. It was made w/ 20% whole-cluster and finished up in SS; very slightly
    off-dry and w/ a slight bit of spritz. Loads of very pretty alpine strawberry character but doesn’t speak much of
    (modern-day) Nebbiolo.
    Just like Calif Nebb is often rejected because it does not taste like Barolo/Barbaresco, this wine will likewise
    be rejected because is doesn’t smell/taste like Nebbiolo is “supposed” to taste. But it is a very pretty wine,
    very drinkable, in it’s own right. Screw what Nebb is “supposed” to taste like. It reminds me a lot of some of the
    trendy Carignanes/Trousseaus/Missions that are being made these days by hipster winemakers…light/pretty and
    very easy-drinking.
    The J.C. on the label stands for “Julia Child”. I liken drinking this wine to burying my face into the buxom
    bosom of a nude Julia Child, embracing her in my arms, and rolling down a hillside covered in alpine strawberries.
    That line got a lot of laughs at the NEB#7 public tasting when I used it.
    Tom

It annoys me to say it, but you succeeded again here. [snort.gif]

I really like the Vajra Nebbiolo Rosso. Just finished my last bottle of the '11 and it was good but about at the end of its useful life. Odd that the Barolo (even as a somewhat unusual bottling) was cheaper than the Langhe Nebbiolo?

Well, John…that’s why Todd keeps me around here on WB…to annoy the hell out of people!! [snort.gif]
Tom

Tom,
Had the G.D.Vajra Clare at the winery couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a fantastic wine, but absolutely nothing like a modern Nebbiolo. We got a lovely “nutty” finish that Francesca attributed to the whole cluster. Did you notice this?

He’s getting good value for money. neener

Not what I would call a “nutty” character (which I associate w/ toasted hazelnuts) but a bit of a spicy/peppery/pungent
character I associate w/ whole-cluster. Subtle, but was there.
Tom

The J.C. on the label stands for Jefferson-Corti. Darrell came across a Jefferson quote describing
the Nebbiolo of his day and shared it w/ the Vajra folks, who tried to replicate the Nebb that
Jefferson described. But Darrell was instrumental in this wine being made.
But I still think my story is much more colorful!! [snort.gif]
Tom

Any wood used on the Clare or just stainless steel? Sounds not, but presumably they would have fermented in barrels back in the day?

To the above point, does anyone know where to find info on the Rosso/Nebbiolo Langhe regarding masceration/oak usage/aging etc?

You could try the page with technical info on Vajra’s website: Trade - G.D. Vajra

The PDF technical sheet on the website says its aged in stainless steel.

Thanks!

FYI, I had the regular Langhe Nebbiolo 2011 this week and it’s drinking very well. It definitely has the vintage characteristics: It’s rich, fruity and ripe, but it’s very balanced. Not quite the depth in the middle of a Barolo, but a fair impersonation for less than $25.