Visit to Charlier & Fils in Champagne

During our trip to France we visited this high quality grower champagne producer. They make about 100K bottles a year. They are one of the founding members of the Club Tresor Special Club. Here is what we tasted after touring the winery. They are located in Montigny Sous Chatillon. They are currently not importing to the USA, but I am working on changing that.

NV Carte Noir Brut - 60% Pinot Meunier; 20% each Pinot noir and Chardonnay. 50% 2013 vintage and 50% reserved wine of 2011 and 2012. Harvested by hand and aged in large Foudres for 8 months and 2-3 years for the reserved wines. Cellar aged for 18 months with natural cork. Dosage of 7.8 grams/liter. A fruit forward and slightly sweet wine with peach, apple and strawberry. You get a beautiful core of spice on the finish from the PM grape. Good bead and medium length finish. Just the right amount of bread dough. 91+ points.

2007 Millesime Bacchus Brut - 33 1/3% each of Pinot Meunier, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Harvested by hand with a maturation of 36 months. Dosage is 8 grams/liter. A beautiful wine that I bet is even better with food. Great nose of orange and dark cherry. The nose continues onto the palate with a fine mousse and a bit of honey and a lengthy dry finish that has a chalky finish. 93pts.

NV Rose de Saignee Prestige Brut - 80% Pinot Meunier 20% Pinot Noir. Grapes sorted on the vine and again on the sorting table. All fruit from 2013. 100% destemmed. Maceration is around 14 hours. Aged for 8 months in large foudres. Dosage is 9 grams/liter. A gorgeous color with intense red fruits. I get a sense of candied cherries with beautiful acidity. It has a supple linear finish that screams for food. Their is a sense that this would be amazing at dessert with fresh fruit. A beautiful Rose. 92-93pts.

2005 Special Club Millesime - 70% Chard and 15% each of Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir. Comes from their oldest vines of 50yrs old. Aged for 8 months in large foudres. Matured for 36 months. Dosage is 6.5 grams/liter. A beautiful creamy vintage. The balance of flowers to fruit on the nose is stunning. Black cherries with a yeasty midpalate. This with sushi would be amazing. The acidity runs to the front at this early point in its life. Very fine bead. 94pts. I hope to get them lined up with a US importer. Their prices at the winery are amazing.

JH