TN: Two Calif Picpouls...(short/boring)

Tried these two on Fri night’s dinner w/ friends:

1. BonnyDoonVnyd Picpoul BeeswaxVnyd/ArroyoSecco (12.2%; www.BonnyDoonVineyard.com) SantaCruz 2015: Pale yellow color; light stony/chalky/earthy light appley/fruit nose; quite tart/lean/austere light appley/stony/chalky flavor; med.short tart/lean slight appley/chalky/stony finish; plenty of acid but that’s about all it has going for it; a bit on the vapid side. $15.00 (SFW&S)

1. Forlorn-Hope Picpoul RorickVnyd/CalaverasCnty (12.62%; 152 cs) 2015: Light gold color; quite fragrant/perfumed bright/mango/pineapple some chalky/perfumed talc very attractive nose; rather tart/lean some chalky/stony/perfumed talc some appley/mango/pineapple bit tangy/grapefruity/citric quite attractive flavor; very long tart/tangy/citric some stony/chalky/mineral/perfumed talc strong mango/pineapple/quince/apple finish; some like a Picpoul de Pinet but much more fragrance & texture; quite a lovely Picpoul. $30.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Picpoul is mostly found in the Southern part of France, Picpoul di Pinet being the most common. It’s starting to get a bit of traction in Calif now as well. “Picpoul” means “lip-stinger”, used to describe its usual high acidity; a story all the Picpoul producers love to relate.
    My F-H shipment arrived last week & I decided to Pobega this one.
    This is the first Picpoul from Calif I’ve tried that holds a candle to the one from TablasCreek.
    Tom

Tom,

What did you think of the Adelaida one that you had at the Rhone Rangers seminar in SF? I thought Jeremy did a fine job with that wine - but curious for your thoughts . . .

Cheers.

I thought it a pretty nice Picpoul, Larry. Not quite as acid as expected. But it showed the minerality & stony character
I like in Picpoul. Not quite at the level of the Tablas.
Tom

Thanks Tom! How would you compare Picpoul to Clairette?

Hmmmm, Barry…tough question. But…hey…I’m a LosAlamos guy…we make “stuff” up!! [snort.gif]

Going back thru my notes, I don’t see much but just one Clairette that I’ve had. I’ve much more experience w/ Picpoul.
Clairette seems much more used in blends than as a mono-varietal.
My feeling is that Clairette is more of a neutral grape, not as distinctive as Picpoul. Not as much of that
stony minerality that I like about Picpoul.
I just need to gain more experience w/ Clairette to give you a more definitive answer, I’m afraid.
Tom