TN: 2015 Schloss Gobelsburg Riesling Ried Gaisberg

One of my go to Austrian producers, this was a new purchase from Vinopolis a week ago.

Pop and pour…there’s a definite leesy component on the nose sitting on top of the fruit at the moment. It cycled between crisp pie crust and hinting at brewers yeast. With a little time lime water(think of a pitcher of water with slices of line in it), star fruit, and peach pit plus a savory legume-y note. Still a very young wine and the nose is nicely layered and very pleasant.
Palate is bright, crisp, shows a restraint of fruit that bodes well for aging and enough layering to warrant the patience. Peaches over citrus, good length and stamina, but this probably needs another 3-5 years

One of my favorite producers - and YES, the wines need some time in the bottle (I just had a 1998 GV Lamm which was marvallous …)

BTW: It´s GOBELSBURG (not Gobelsberg)

Burg = castle
Berg = mountain

Whoops, thank you

… and in addition:
BURGUNDY (German: Burgund, Bourgogne in French) is also nothing else than “land of castles”)

Have you had the Heiligenstein? I haven’t had the Gaisberg, but I found the Heiligenstein overly ripe in an already warm vintage.

agreed. I’ve only tasted a couple dozen but so far the 16 Austrian (Kamptal) have been better than the 15. A cooler vintage with longer hang time.

@Marcus: I’m going to preorder some of the 2016 Hiedler Riesling Ried Gaisberg, if you want 3 bottles. Or, of course, you can order your own.

I’m a huge Gobelsburg fan, and recently had the 2015 Riesling Zöbinger Heiligenstein. it was lovely with a brilliant fruit component, but not as complex as I would desire. the finish seemed a tad short and a touch of alcohol as well on the finish.
i truly enjoyed the wine, but it persuaded me not to jump at available 2015 wines, preferring to look at what i could find of 2013.