TN: 1951 Salon (inspired by the ongoing Salon thread)

My own experience with Salon is entirely positive but perhaps I’ve been lucky.
I visited the Salon cellars about 15 years ago. I was traveling with a friend who worked for the Maryland distributor selling Salon so because of the connection we had a nice reception and tasting. Toward the end of our visit, our host asked my friend’s birth year which happened to be 1951. It turns out that 1951 was a mediocre vintage especially for the Pinot Noir. However, 1951 was an excellent vintage for the Chardonnay of which Salon is 100%. To make a long story short, the maitre de chai was sent down to disgorge a 1951 Salon.
The 1951 Salon, about 50 years old, was amazingly fresh. crisp and effervescent, showing no evidence of age, it was elegant, intense, and impeccably balanced, as memorable a Champagne experience as I’ve ever had. Naturally, we drank the entire bottle before taking our leave.
As a postscript, later that day we went to Veuve Clicquot where we had a similar reception. This time they asked MY birth year (1945). It was served at dinner and was quite superb but not from a recently disgorged bottle and not nearly as a amazing as the Salon but memorable nonetheless. Krug is the only other 1945 I’ve been lucky enough to try and that was right up there with the Salon.
So my advice, don’t be put off the oxidized Salon; it can be a nearly life-changing experience.

So the wine was still on the lees at 50+ years of age?

Yes, it was.
DoctorJay

That’s some fresh provenance!!! :astonished:

No storage issues there!

“no evidence” of age in a 50-year old wine seems more like a bug than a feature to me, but I’m sure it was tasty.

I’m not sure I really follow.

Of course wine held in its reductive pre disgorgement state within the original cellars is far less likely to be oxidised.

Old Salon is still a lottery when buying through normal channels.

One day, Didier Depond, President of Salon, went to one of my dinners with a 1959 Salon.
The wine was dead. It was not corked but dead.
I did not ask, but I can imagine that it was a buy in auction of an original disgorgement made by Salon.

Jay,
At a lunch in the head office of Salon, Didier Depond opened bottles of the birth year of several guests. We drank them blind.
Never would I imagine that he would have opened a 1943 of my birth year because there was only 11 remaining in their cellar.

This 1943 is the greatest Salon that I have drunk and I have extensively drunk every year since 1959.