Doctor Jay?

I loved that the Jed Leaves Wine Advocate ended up in a debate over credentials (and a part of it was about me). For the record, I earned a Ph.D. in Psychology in 1973 and remained in the field until 1998 when I completed a transition to full-time in the wine business including working for Robert Parker for 25 years, my real credential.
I came to be called Dr.Jay because that’s how I was introduced to people by among others, Robert Parker. I don’t believe I ever bestowed that title upon myself when introducing myself to others. I kind of liked the name because of its association with the real Dr J, Julius Erving, the legendary basketball player who, of course was not a “real” doctor but I doubt anyone ever quibbled over the term. My only wish was that I made as much money as him. I still have friends and colleagues who call me Doctor Jay but whenever I book a reservation or somesuch, I always choose Mr.
As for Lisa Perrotti-Brown with whom I have never exchanged a word, I think it is quite appropriate for her to use MW after her name. She earned something difficult and meaningful. As for how she operates TWA, it’snot something I pay any attention to.
The bottom line is I think I’m going to continue to use DrJay when I sign a tasting note because that’s how lots of people know me.
Enough of the silliness!
DoctorJay

I do think that Mr. Erving received a honorary doctorate from UMass Amherst, FWIW. What a great player he was. Seeing him in person with the 76ers in the late 70’s was one of my basketball highlights! Apologies for the thread drift.

Thanks,
Ed

I always assumed that was just your moniker, nom de plume/nom de guerre, not necessarily your education or profession. I’m totally cool with it, but I think your nickmane “Doctor Jay” took on something beyond some kind of professional acronym that people like to put behind their names. It also distinguishes you from the other esteemed Jay Miller, who may or may not be a real doctor.

My only comment is, your post count is kinda weak for a doctor or a pro! :wink:

Dr. Robert Alfert, Jr., P.A., Esq., JD, BA.Arch, AAA, et al.

Dr. Jay - Thanks for the post, though, as far as I’m concerned, there was no need to apologize or explain. But maybe people who haven’t followed your career in wine deserved the explanation.

+1

I took a several year hiatus from posting tasting notes although I regularly tasted 100-150 wines a week during that time at a wine shop in Baltimore in which I am a partner. No real reason but I can say that I find this Board a helluva lot more interesting than the Parker Board (once it closed to non-subscribers) even though I was trolled from time to time.
DoctorJay

Well Dr. Jay, you earned a PhD right? And worked in the field of your study. And it’s a good way to distinguish one Jay from the other. Of course use Dr. Jay for TNs - it’s how you’re known.

Sooner or later everyone here gets trolled.

Now you want to see thread drift, keep talking about Lisa’s operation of the WA.

Is she still in charge BTW? Does anyone know?

Totally cool…while there was some shit that went down at the end of the Squires/ebob board, life move’s on. You’ve been privileged to some incredible tasting experiences, which is an asset to any BB that you participate. I enjoy reading your truly independent TN’s now more than ever…

I’m down with your choice of ID. As to the latter point, it is entirely true (Looking at you Monie).
Doctor Pat

Agree with the above.

Doctor (Juris) David

No advanced degree here though I thank you for the implied compliment.

I also see no defensible objection to the Doctor Jay moniker. Now if someone wanted to complain about Florida Jim since he moved to California that would be more worthy of a few pages of argument. [neener.gif]

If all of us JDs claim the doctor title, that’s another 28% of the board who will claim the title.

Only 28%? Huh. The way legal opinions are handed out on certain threads here, I figured it was closer to 50%.
:wink:

Victor is a doctor, lawyer and life counselor. That’s Doctor-Doctor.

I seem to remember just pointing out that a scientist worthy of the title, should use scientific method, not conjecture.

yrrmNpGYH28

Thanks for the explanation. I thought it was because you were a rapper and thought we had a famous musician in our midst. [oops.gif]

DrJay invited me to one of the first offlines I ever attended, back in the '80s when we were on Prodigy. I’ve had a couple of meals/shared a few bottles with him over the years and can report that there is nothing remotely pretentious about him. Hope to see you posting more here, Jay.

Go ahead and call yourself DR J if you like but I need to see a video of you doing the wind mill dunk.

I loved playing that video game you made with Bostonian Larry Bird when I was kid

Ah my fellow doctors. What a time to be alive.