Saxum Tasting

In Paso, and was very fortunate to taste at Saxum with Justin.
Barrel samples of the 15’s and 16’s, finishing with a 2005 aged for 44 months.
IMO the 15’s were tighter than the 16’s which were more lush/accessible.
15’s were a (much) smaller harvest than normal, so allocations will be smaller.
In 16 there will be a new, yet to be named wine.

The 2005 was really special, though Justin had just compared the 2005 and 2006 extended aged wines and thought the 2006 was doing better, although both were better than their normally aged counterparts.
He is planning on doing some more extended aging wines in the future.

Also tasted barrel samples of the Turtle Rock wines, recommend you give them a try.

Just a very special experience, one of those tastings you’ll remember for a lifetime, many thanks to to Justin and Don.
IMG_2708.JPG
IMG_2711.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG

This was also one of the highlights of my many years of wine related travels. I’ve been on the list from 2004 and have back to 2003 in my cellar (Rocket Block which Justin gifted). Justin is incredibly talented and generous. Can’t wait until the 2016 as it was my son’s birth year and I plan on loading up. The first thing to touch my son’s lips on the day he was born that wasn’t breast mild was a 2007 JB.

I visited before the new cave was built but hope to see it one day.

Maybe I am becoming cynical since I am on the waitlist but every year it seems that I read the years Harvest was smaller than the previous year and allocatations will be smaller. Haha!! How the heck am I supposed to get on the list then??!! J/K !! Sounds like you lucked out and got to taste through some great wines!! Nice pictures too

I love postings like this. Something that most of us will never have a chance to experience.

Joe - Every place we visited had the same story with the 2015’s, very low yields because of the drought, but 2016 was better than average so there should be more of that to go around.
Unfortunately I think the current wait for new people joining the list is around seven years.

Peter, first year I was able to buy was the 2007 vintage and loaded up on the JB.
Still have 3-750’s and a mag, Justin said it was still drinking well.

The cave is spectacular.
Didn’t get a feel for how much of the new yet to be named 2016 there will be, but I would put it on my list of ones not to miss.

Back to the 2015 allocations, two places we visited were worried they may not have enough wine to keep their tasting rooms open for the full year until they release the 2016’s.

Michael - yes I feel very fortunate, I’ve had 3 or 4 visits where the winemaker has gone above and beyond anything that you could possibly hope for, Saxum, Alban, and Linne Calado. The last two were a long time ago and guy’s only trips, I was glad my wife was with me this time so now she could experience it with me.

Thanks Mike appreciate the update. Thinking maybe 2018 or at worst 2019 from when I signed up that would be about right I think.

If its any help the wait is worth it, fantastic wines and customer service as good as the very best