VERMOUTH PART II: Blending My Own Vermouths Using Amer/Bitters & Sweet Wine

Berserkers,

My Vermouth obsession continues on to its next logical step – crafting and blending my own vermouth. Now there were two possible ways to do this, the easy way and the hard way. The hard way is not as difficult as you might think. If you remember from my original Vermouth thread, there are only a few ingredients and steps required to make your own vermouth. As a reminder, they are:

• Wine (as your base)
• Sugar (for sweetening)
• Neutral 40% ABV brandy (for fortifying)
• Caramelized sugar (for color and more sweetness)
• Herbs, spice and botanicals (exact components and ratios handed down by your ancient European relatives in a secret recipe dating back from the 1800s)

Once these are assembled, the steps needed would be:
• Macerate the herb/spice/botanicals in the alcohol
• OPTIONAL: Age the maceration in oak barrels for more complexity before blending
• Strain the maceration and then blend with your wine, sugar, and fortify with alcohol until it reaches anywhere from 15% to 20% ABV
• OPTIONAL: Age the final blend in oak barrels for more complexity before drinking

See that’s not too hard! Well, you know, minus the whole oak barrel aging thing as well as possessing neither a secret Vermouth recipe nor ancient Italian, Spanish or French relatives from whom it could’ve been handed down to me. If only someone had already done the first two steps for me and saved me a lot of time and work.

Oh wait. It turns out somebody did. It turns out my pal and fellow board member Jay Shampur likes having Amaro or Fernet to finish his meals. Well during our last meal at CAVA whose wines I recently posted about, he sat next to me and ordered a double of Fernet Branca at meal’s end and the aroma immediately struck me: it smelled just like Vermouth or Brio Chanatto. Only without the sweetness. So I tasted it. And it tasted exactly like the bitter aromatic part of Brio or Vermouth without the sweetness, cola or fruit wine flavors. Then, making the logical leap of conclusion, I dropped a teaspoon of his Fernet into my glass of 02 Noble One and tasted it. And it tasted like Vermouth.

So I researched it and all-knowing all-seeing Google told me that Fernet is a dry bitter distilled and macerated spirit exclusive to Italy. It is made in other countries, but then it is simply referred to as amer or “bitters.” Regardless, it is a mixture of a secret recipe of herbs, spices, and botanicals – that sounds familiar – macerated in alcohol, blended with caramelized sugar for color, and aged oak barrels. All that’s needed after that is a wine base and sugar. Well that’s taken care of with any sweet or dessert wine.

So the end result is that all that’s needed to blend your own high quality Vermouth are two ingredients: a high quality bitters spirit and a high quality sweet wine. So now it was time to get to blending. Since it worked so nicely last time, I went with a more recent 2008 Noble One botrytis semillion wine from Australia. This provides body, sweetness, decent acidity, and unctuous dried mango, apricot and quince flavors plus a bit of vanilla from oak aging.

On the Fernet side, I went with the following mixture of Fernets which I found at the LCBO. Note that I deliberately did not choose an Amaro as they are far too variable in the amount of alcohol and especially added sugar. Even with my infamous sweet tooth, I think adding sugar to an already sweet wine is far too much and would severely unbalance the blend. Our Fernet/bitters contenders are:

• Fernet Branca from Italy; 39% ABV, 27 herbs, spices and botanicals
• ZWACK Unicum from Hungary; 40% ABV, 40 herbs, spices, and botanicals
• Felix Bigallet China-China from France; 40% ABV, distillate comes from sweet and bitter orange peels, exact number of aromatic ingredients not known or publicized that I could find
20170624_202352_HDR.jpg
For the control side of this blending, I tasted each of our amer/bitters spirits separately. Then I blended in a 4 to 1 ratio of sweet wine to bitters (1 TBSP Noble one to ¾ tsp of each amer/bitters) and tasted each of these samples. I also used the fabulous Tregenda Vermouth from Italy I posted about in my first thread as my control sample. I was looking to approximate this as much as possible:

FERNET BRANCA: Skews heavily towards quinine and mint; virtually no baking spices detected; strong herbal bitterness; dry taste but not completely devoid of caramelized sugar flavor, I would liken this as Brut is to Extra Brut; I wouldn’t drink on its own but likely to be very good with the blend

ZWACK UNICUM: Much more complex flavors; quinine and mint present but so are the baking spices; small but noticeable touch of sugar sweetness which makes this really off-dry, not dry as advertised; aromatics seems slightly muted by the sugar on the palate; could possibly throw the balance off of final blend

FELIX BIGALLET CHINA-CHINA: Strong orange flavor and detectable sweetness; least amount of quinine and spices detectable, only seem to show up in the finish; practically Grand Marnier in disguise; exact reverse of the Fernet – I would completely drink this on its own and I fear any bitterness is bound to be lost in the final blend

On to the final blends then, which you see below. One thing to note is that the color is virtually indistinguishable between all 4 as the caramelized sugar of the amer/bitters has heavily colored the dark amber gold of the Noble One.
20170624_215345_HDR.jpg

TREGENDA (Control sample Vermouth): Cherries; high sweetness; high acidity; slightly minty; lots of wormwood and baking spices predominantly; little caramelized sugar added; greatly balanced; easily doubles as a straight dessert wine
20170624_215416_HDR.jpg
FERNET “VERMOUTH”: Mint and quinine very strong on the nose; almost medicinal; most closely resembles the original amer/bitters; integrates very well as a whole
20170624_215356_HDR.jpg
UNICUM VERMOUTH: Nose is strongly grassy and herbal in the blend, nearly as strong as that of the spirit alone; sweet wine cancels out the caramel of the Unicum, allowing aromatics to actually shine through more; the whole blend is much greater than the sum of its parts; integrates very well as a whole and not as unbalanced as I feared it would be
20170624_215401_HDR.jpg

CHINA-CHINA “VERMOUTH”: Most subtle bitters and aromatics which are stronger on the nose than they are on the palate; strong orange flavor; may as well have dropped in Grand Marnier; orange flavors do predominate as expected
20170624_215405_HDR.jpg
So what’s the verdict here? First off, the Tregenda is by far the best and most balanced of the four which should come as no surprise at all. It’s a Vermouth product and the aromatics were clearly chosen and blended to be completely complementary to the base late harvest Albana wine.

Our blended Vermouths in comparison all tend to skew heavily towards the predominant flavors of whichever bitters spirit was used. Therefore I would strongly recommend that you make sure you enjoy the taste of the bitters before even thinking of blending your own Vermouth with them. These may work for you, they may not. In fairness, anyone who doesn’t like baking spices probably wouldn’t enjoy the Tregenda so it’s all really a matter of personal taste. The Fernet results in a minty Vermouth, the Unicum in a more herbal one, and the China China in more of a Grand Marnier/Vermouth blend. The aromatics come to you in the first two blends. You have to work to get at them in the third.

They all definitely work and all three were tasty but they clearly come across as the improvised kit-bashed blend that they are rather than a fully integrated product. Now the flip side to all this is that because I control the base wine, I get to have a lot more fun and possibilities simply by switching out the base wine. In the future, I will definitely be repeating this experiment with Canadian icewine as my base, both white and red; a French Pineau des Charentes; a New Zealand Riesling/Sauvignon Blanc TBA; Quebec and Ontario ice cider; a Quebec honey blueberry mead; and a Moscato based passito. The possibilities are endless now. It would be really interesting to see what would happen with each of these blends if they actually were placed in an oak barrel and allowed to integrate and blend with each other over time.

I should also point out that I will continue to acquire Vermouths as the summer of Vermouth rolls on. I have already acquired some of the fabled Carpana Antica Formula which I previously tasted and posted about in my first Vermouth thread. I will also be acquiring some Contratto white and red and Cocchi red and amaro vermouths from the SAQ in Montreal as well in two weeks from now.

So in conclusion, I highly recommend blending your own “Vermouth” using your favorite amer/bitter spirit and your favorite sweet wine. While I wouldn’t say they’re a replacement for your favorite craft Vermouth, it is tasty and fun to try and will do in a pinch when you feel in the mood for a Vermouth and don’t have an open bottle handy. The possibilities are endless when you think about it. Just make sure you enjoy the amer/bitters you use first.

Great/interesting thread…thanks!

Also, not helpful for this but St George Spirits’ Bruto Americano is an excellent (fairly bitter) bitters…worth a try!