The thighs of frogs

Last night I was perusing CT tasting notes to see if now is a good time to open an 11 or 12 Pierre Boisson Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru En Reugne. One note (2008) was in french, so I got Google to translate it. The summary sentence of the note translated to ‘Well held against the thighs of frogs!’. The alternate translation was ‘A neat face frog legs!’. I’m assuming the first was correct :slight_smile:

Further research indicates another possible translation is ‘tight thighs of frogs’…maybe this is french slang for sexy frog legs?

And people complain about salinity :slight_smile:

I would assume the poster was suggesting that it paired well with a dish of frog legs… and nothing about the sexiness of frog legs.

I guess you mean

A bien tenu face aux cuisses de grenouilles

which means what Vince said, ie it went well with frog’s legs.

I suppose.

Or…since ‘frogs’ is slang for a french person, and they were clearly/likely french, maybe they were making a closing comment about their sexy legs.

Any thoughts on when the wines (11/12 En Reugne) will start to show some developed character (ignoring premox risk, however risky that might be), compared to the somewhat bracingly youthful state it’s been in?

Cuisses de poulet = chicken legs
Cuisses de grenouille = frogs legs

I am a meat eater, and have not many qualms about this but, apparently, the legs are removed from the frogs while they are still alive and the rest of the body is thrown away.

Since hearing that, I have tended to avoid them.

Alex R.

More like, “it held up well against frog’s legs.”