Chianti Borghini 1966

Hey,
Somehow or other I got a hold of a bottle labeled Chianti Borghini 1966. It has a wooden cover thing and a rounded bottom. What is it? Is it good? Is it valuable? Is it poisonous now?

Hi Paul
It won’t be poisonous.
Older Chianti isn’t particularly sought after, though it can age brilliantly. 1966 isn’t as far as I’m aware a well-regarded vintage. I don’t know the producer. Do investigate further, but my expectation is of little value, but worth opening with relatively low expectations.
regards
Ian

Thanks for the reply!

I am slightly disturbed because it was a yellowish color with a lot of sediment at the bottom. Is that normal or a bad sign?

Paul,

Three quick points, reinforcing what Ian already said:

(1) Wine doesn’t spoil in the same way, say, milk does. Put differently, assuming you are a normal, healthy person, there is virtually nothing in the bottle, outside of alcohol, that could make you sick upon consumption.

(2) That said, the odds that this bottle will provide an enjoyable drinking experience are very, very small. While sediment and an oranging in color are normal - can’t say I have ever seen yellow in red wine - for a wine a of that age, and are not evidence in and of themselves that the wine has taken a turn for the worst, most simple Chiantis are not 50 year wines, even when stored in perfect conditions.

(3) That said, its still pretty cool to at least pour and give a whiff to a fifty year old bottle. Was it purchased by a friend or relative? If so, it will probably be an interesting walk down memory lane to imagine what they were doing back in the '60s.

Tim

Hi Paul
Sediment is normal in old bottles, indeed I tend to view it as a positive sign. As to colour, yes brown is normal, but could it be that what you’re seeing is a pale brown, with the colour having dropped away? Or alternatively it’s an effect of the glass bottle?
regards
Ian