TN:1990 Salon Champagne (faulty)

IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
not everyday I get dragged out the back of a wine shop to drink 1990 Salon,
This wine tasted like spritzy Fino Sherry, not sure what went wrong with this,
Any suggestions?.

and also I tried to edit my images and obviously Failed

The last bottle of 1990 Salon that I opened was oxidized.

Sounds like classic oxidized salon.

It is certainly an oxidised note you are seeing. The colour looks pretty good in your photo. I suspect with the right food that would have showed well and breathed up in the glass. At age 27 you’re going to get some rancio nuttiness, honey and truffle in these sorts of Champagnes and the bubbles will not be as vigorous as they once were. You’ve almost got to think of them as an aged white Burg.

Thanks Jeremy, the colour was good, but it REALLY tasted like fino sherry with bubbles

Have you ever had Krug?

Sometimes the acidity kicks in after an hour or 2 like the 85 Krug.

But if it’s oxidized it’s oxidized. Oxidized champagne and white burg tastes more like apple juice/apple cider to me than sherry though.

Yup, Krug is my go to Champagne, my number 1.
I have never bothered with Salon because of the pricing,
I have tasted oxidised wines plenty of times, but this just seemed like something different to me, hence the post

I have left the rest of the bottle in the shops fridge uncorked to see if some air will help it,

Ok…if you’re use to Krug(oxidative style) and the Salon(bright mineral driven style) tastes oxed…then its OX-ed! And…a total bummer! :frowning:

There was definitely a premox issue with Salon in this period.

deeply oxidized white burg tastes like sherry.

But the color in the photo doesn’t indicate that it’s deeply oxidized.

Thank you, I was wondering if it was a known problem for this wine

There were massive amounts of heat-damaged Salon from this era floating around in the USA distribution channel, circa the late-1990s/early-2000s.

A few years ago, we had a 1988 Salon which was undrinkable.

Sherried, oxidized Champagne is my number one fault that I find in this wine. And then I hear that some Champagne houses produce this style deliberately!!!

I do not find Krug to be in that style, but DP is one I cannot stand.

A home-made garagiste style, if I understand correctly. neener [snort.gif]

MAGIC!!

Yup they have the 88 as well, thank you this makes sense to me now, they shop that has it were not trying to sell it, they knew it had issues

I am not sure what has happened to the DP you’ve had, but if you can’t stand DP it has nothing to do with oxidation.